Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Chief Executive apologises over prosecutions

MEDIA RELEASE

Chief Executive apologises over prosecutions

14 MAY, 2014

Council Chief Executive Pat Dougherty has apologised to the McLeaveys and Monkeyman Tree Services for distress caused over their prosecution for damaging native trees on two Ōtaki properties.

Mr Dougherty told councillors at a scheduled meeting this morning that Council is advising the Crown Solicitor that it considers the charges against Monkeyman Services should be withdrawn. He said there were two reasons for this decision.

“Yesterday the judge considered the McLeavey case and decided the offending was on the trivial end of the scale and it did not justify prosecution. We also heard yesterday that Monkeyman Tree Services had elected a jury trial. Given the potential cost of that hearing, and the judge’s comments, the decision was made last night to advise the Crown Solicitor of Council’s view.”

Mr Dougherty says he had defended the decision to prosecute over the incident on two Ōtaki properties because he was advised there was sufficient evidence and the case was sound.

“Our senior planning staff had been out to the site. We had a consultant ecologist go to the site and we had external legal advice. The advice was that there was a significant enough breach of the District Plan rules to justify a prosecution. What we will now have to do is investigate how that advice was so different from the judge’s view.”

Mr Dougherty told the meeting a respected QC has been asked to undertake a full review of Council processes and the quality of professional advice it received. He said it needs to be acknowledged that the Judge’s comments effectively mean that Council must now review the threshold at which a prosecution is likely to succeed.


ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Waitangi Tribunal: Report On The MV Rena

In its interim report, the Waitangi Tribunal has found that the Crown’s conduct in response to the grounding of the MV Rena on Otaiti (Astrolabe) reef breached the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi. More>>

ALSO:

Gaza: Wellington Protest For Palestine Calls For End To Bombing

Around 300 people gathered outside the Israeli Embassy in Wellington on Friday to protest Israel’s occupation of Palestine. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Failure To Prosecute The GCSB

So one hand of the state – the Independent Police Conduct Authority – has now washed the hands of its brother agencies, and declared that all hands are clean. Case closed. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news