Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Mayor of Christchurch says flood numbers need to be verified

Mayor of Christchurch says flood numbers need to be verified

Thursday 15 May 2014

People whose houses are uninhabitable or whose health and wellbeing are being severely impacted by recurrent flooding are being encouraged to make direct contact with the Christchurch City Council.

Mayor Lianne Dalziel said the Flood Taskforce’s preliminary assessments of the number of households subject to repeated flooding both above and below floor levels over the past six months were always going to change.

“As we made clear earlier this week, these figures and the criteria the Taskforce has used to determine the levels of vulnerability need to be tested with the householders and with their neighbours and communities. This process is now underway,” said the Mayor.

The Taskforce’s area-by-area analysis had made it very clear that earthquake-related damage to land, houses, drainage systems and waterways was one of several factors contributing to severe flooding across the city.

But it was equally clear that it was the main factor causing repeated inundation in the Dudley Creek/Flockton area, said the Mayor.

“What remains unclear is what this means in terms of how the risk and costs are apportioned between the home owner, the Crown including EQC, and the Council.

“However, I want to be very clear that as a council our primary focus is not on who funds what and when. It is on ensuring that the next time Christchurch has significant rainfall, people have not been forced to remain living in houses where water enters their homes or where they are surrounded by contaminated water.

“And I understand that for some people their situation is just so intolerable that the only viable option in the short term will be relocation. Some have already moved out. These worst-affected residents will be the prime focus of the report to Government next week,” said the Mayor.

The technical report recommended a package of short term solutions for each catchment area, some of which could be implemented either immediately or within the next six weeks.

These include a mix of engineering proposals, fast-tracking maintenance and network upgrades, better alignment with the SCIRT work programme and area-wide and site specific temporary flood defence measures.

Lianne Dalziel said this work would continue to be assessed and implemented. She was confident that some of these quick fixes could reduce exposure to flooding in certain areas in the event of more significant rainfall.

At the same time, it was possible some of the temporary area-wide solutions could provide part of the longer term solutions. It was therefore vital for the council to work through the options carefully to ensure ratepayers’ money was well spent.

“I want to get a set of temporary and permanent solutions that work across the spectrum of property damage (from earthquake related to non-earthquake related) that are fair and equitable to the individuals concerned as well as the ratepayers/taxpayers.


“I am really grateful at the high level of support that we are receiving from CERA, EQC, ECAN and insurers, who have all committed to helping Christchurch through this,” said the Mayor.


Flood impact analysis categories, with numbers affected as at 15 May 2014:

Level One: Two or more instances of flooding of dwelling floors since the earthquakes – 56 properties.

Level Two: Two or more instances of flooding under dwellings since the earthquakes – 471 properties.

Level Three: Two or more instances of flooding restricting resident access to dwellings since the earthquakes – 487 properties.

The Taskforce’s report to the Council, the draft technical report and a map detailing the flooding analysis in the post-earthquake environment can be viewed on the Council website at www.ccc.govt.nz/floodmitigation

Click here to view the resolutions passed by the Council at the Extraordinary Council meeting on Monday 12 May 2014.

For further information, please call the Customer Call Centre on (03) 941 8999 or 0800 800 169 or email queries to floodmitigation@ccc.govt.nz

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Transport: Auckland Looks To Light Rail

The Board of Auckland Transport has called for an investigation into a light rail network, which could relieve traffic congestion on some of the region’s busiest roads.

This stems from work in 2012 (the City Centre Future Access study) which responded to a government request to develop a robust and achievable solution for access to the CBD.

That showed that the City Rail Link, together with surface bus improvement, provided the best regional solution. However, it also identified that the city centre is already facing serious congestion across all major road entry points which, if not addressed now, will worsen. More>>

 

RMA: Smith's Claims Don't Match Evidence - Greens

The Motu group’s research into the impacts of planning rules looked at the costs related to housing development but not the benefits of environmental protections and does not recommend significant changes to the RMA to reduce the cost of new house builds. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Similarities Between John Key And David Cameron

For years now, David Cameron has been the closest available thing to a mentor/analogue to our Prime Minister, such that Key watchers could be interested in an analysis of Cameron that appeared in the British press over the Christmas break. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Ian Fletcher Resignation & GCSB’s New Role

It may well be that after being shoulder-tapped in Queensland for the GCSB job, three years of living in Wellington has been enough for Fletcher and his family, given that the pending review of the GCSB would have required an even longer commitment from him. Three years of Wellington’s weather is enough for anyone... More>>

ALSO:

Ian Apperley: $10m Or $100m For New Wellington Council IT System?

I feel a Tui Billboard coming on. I commented the other day that it looked like the Council’s Ninth big project was a potential $100 million plus... The Mayor has responded: “I am reassured by the Chief Executive and by Anthony Wilson that the proposed budget is in the region of $10 million.” More>>

ALSO:

Southern Ocean:
Navy Intercepts Illegal Fishing Vessels

Foreign Minister Murray McCully today put illegal fishing vessels operating in the Southern Ocean on notice and vowed to take action against their owners. “As part of a multi-agency operation, the HMNZS WELLINGTON has intercepted two vessels claiming to be flagged to Equatorial Guinea, fishing illegally in the Southern Ocean.” Mr McCully says. More>>

ALSO:

Kiwi Pride: New Zealand Takes UN Security Council Seat

“New Zealand’s term on the Security Council will place us at the heart of international decision-making for the next two years,” Mr McCully says. More>>

Greens: CAA Airport Door Report Conflicts With Brownlee’s Claims

The heavily redacted report into the incident shows conflicting versions of events as told by Gerry Brownlee and the Christchurch airport security staff. The report disputes Brownlee’s claim that he was allowed through, and states that he instead pushed his way through. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news