Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Council applies for accreditation as a consent authority

Monday 19 May, 2014

Council applies for IANZ Accreditation as a building consent authority

Christchurch City Council has lodged its application with IANZ for accreditation as a building consent authority.

Crown Manager Doug Martin and the Council’s Director of Building Control and City Rebuild Peter Sparrow, lodged the application following major changes over the past 10 months to address serious issues with the Council’s building control operation.

Mr Martin was appointed Crown Manager in July last year to help the Council fix problems with its consenting processes after it lost IANZ accreditation as a building consent authority the previous month.

Within four weeks of starting he produced an Action Plan on Building Control Functions to correct the situation for the Minister of Local Government and the Minister of Building and Construction .

“That Plan made it very clear that change was needed to improve the systems at Council. Since then we have made excellent progress in scaling up the Council’s building control operation to meet the increased demand for building consents and to see the Council regain and retain IANZ accreditation,” Mr Martin says.

“We have totally revamped the way that we operate in the building consents area. We have brought in a new team, we have totally revised our processes of processing consents and I’m confident that we now have the capacity to handle the city’s rebuild. Our application for accreditation is timely given the systems we now have in place,” Mr Martin says.

Christchurch City Council is experiencing a huge increase in demand for building consents. In the year ending 30 April 2014 the Council issued commercial and residential consents worth $2.28 billion compared with $1.13 billion the previous year and $729 million in the 2011 to 2012 year.

Peter Sparrow, who was appointed to lead the team last year, says it is important that the Council is able to excel in its core function as a consenting authority. “We want to be facilitating the rebuild, not acting as a road block. We have worked alongside our staff who have considerable expertise and competency to find solutions,” he says.

“I am confident that we have transformed our operation and built the platform required to ensure continual improvement in our processing of consents. To do so, we have liaised closely with our industry partners.”

As part of the application, a team of IANZ assessors will audit the Council’s revised processes, starting on-site on 8 July 2014.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news