Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Rotorua council to proceed with TERAX waste plant

Media Release
Thursday 22 May 2014

Rotorua council to proceed with TERAX waste plant

Rotorua District Council is to proceed with its TERAX project to construct a new high-tech plant for processing bio-solid sludge from the city’s wastewater treatment plant, using TERAX technology developed by scientists from crown research institute Scion.

At yesterday’s [21 May] meeting of the council’s Strategy, Policy & Finance Committee, the committee recommended council approve $3 million for the project’s professional services contract, which to date had only been partially approved.

The resolution follows an decision of the council earlier in the year to put the funding approval on hold while the business case and financial modelling was reviewed.

Council chief financial officer Dave Foster said the review work had now been undertaken by the council’s finance team, including re-evaluation of cost estimates for all options.

He said TERAX remained the most cost-effective option for achieving the council’s objectives around sustainable disposal of sludge produced by the wastewater treatment plant, and compliance with stringent new environmental protection requirements.

The new TERAX plant will efficiently treat and recycle the bio-solid waste stream from Rotorua’s wastewater treatment plant, a problem that councils have been grappling with across New Zealand and internationally.

The council has received a grant of $4.7 million for developing TERAX technology, of which $3.7 million is a contribution towards constructing the new demonstration plant. The plant is referred to as a “demonstration” facility as it will provide evidence that the new technology works effectively. It will allow TERAX technology to be demonstrated to interested parties, such as other councils, under normal operating conditions.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

2040 Target And Lower Standards: “Swimmable” Rivers Five Times More Likely To Make You Sick

Forest & Bird has condemned the government’s new water quality standards, warning New Zealanders that they lock in current levels of water pollution and allow for a 5-fold increase in the chance of getting sick from swimming in a river.

“Despite an explicit assurance from Minister Smith that the new water standards would provide for human and ecosystem health, he has failed to deliver on either of these things,” says Forest & Bird CEO Kevin Hague. More>>

 
 

Mayor: 750 New Social And Affordable Homes For Wellington

The next stage of Wellington’s Housing Upgrade Programme will see at least 750 new units of social and affordable housing built over the next decade, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>

ALSO:

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial. More>>

ALSO:


November Quakes:

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:


Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news