Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


TEL roundabout replaces dangerous intersection


26 May 2014 | NZ Transport Agency - Waikato & Bay of Plenty

New Tauranga Eastern Link roundabout replaces dangerous intersection

Traffic was switched onto the new Paengaroa roundabout last week, as part of the Tauranga Eastern Link (TEL) project. Drivers travelling along State Highway 2 (SH2) and State Highway 33 (SH33) will have welcomed the improvement to their journey.

Although not completely finished, this huge milestone for the TEL project delivers immediate safety benefits to the region.

The new roundabout replaces the old SH2 / SH33 T-intersection, which had been identified as a high-risk intersection.

NZ Transport Agency acting Bay of Plenty Highway Manager, Andrew Scott, said the agency was thrilled to be able to improve safety for drivers in the region by putting the new Paengaroa roundabout into use ahead of the TEL opening next year.

“Our contractors (Fulton Hogan HEB Construction Alliance) have done a great job getting the roundabout up and running. It has been a complex operation to get the traffic onto the roundabout and off the old piece of road, while still carrying out the works.”

The roundabout will be used by motorists travelling to Whakatane and the Eastern Bay of Plenty, Rotorua and the Central Bay of Plenty, Te Puke and eventually Tauranga via the tolled section of the TEL when it opens in 2015.

Over the next month the final construction of the Te Puke, Whakatane and Rotorua legs will be carried out with daytime and night-time works. The Transport Agency asks drivers to please be patient while the work is completed and the temporary traffic management is in place.

END

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

ALSO:

It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

ALSO:

Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

"Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

ALSO:

Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

ALSO:

New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news