Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search


Tranz Metro service involved in Melling station incident

Tranz Metro service involved in Melling station incident

KiwiRail says that a thorough investigation is being undertaken to find the cause of an incident involving a Tranz Metro Wellington to Melling train this morning.

Chief Executive, Peter Reidy, says safety is KiwiRail’s top priority and the company’s first concern is always passenger and staff welfare when such an incident occurs.

“An investigation has been launched to determine exactly what happened.”

“There are more than 11 million journeys made on Tranz Metro each year throughout Greater Wellington and KiwiRail’s mission to make sure each journey is a safe one.

Mr Reidy confirmed 10 passengers and two train crew were on board, and two passengers were treated in hospital. KiwiRail has been in contact with them and both have been discharged from hospital.

“Six passengers left the site immediately after the accident, and we ask those passengers and anyone on the platform at the time of the incident, to call KiwiRail on 027 706 9006 so we can check their welfare.”

Mr Reidy said it was too early to speculate on the cause of the accident but we reassure our customers that safety is paramount at all times.

“The investigations would look at the full range of possible causes for the incident.

“All Matangi and Ganz Mavag trains are regularly checked as part of our maintenance programme. We conduct regular safety briefings for our staff and have ongoing staff monitoring and training in place.”

All services on the Melling line are suspended until further notice and bus replacements between Melling and Petone are being provided.

Passengers are advised to the Tranz Metro website for more information and updates – www.tranzmetro.co.nz


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines


Minister of Finance: Plan Shows $100 Billion Infrastructure Projects

Finance Minister Bill English has today launched the Government’s Ten Year Capital Intentions Plan (CIP) which shows a pipeline of $100.9 billion worth of infrastructure projects over the next decade. More>>


Werewolf: Safe Landings Gordon Campbell on the safety challenge to the Wellington runway extension.

The safety-related legal challenge revolves around the size of the 90 metre long Runway End Safety Area (RESA) being proposed for the runway extension. More>>


Environment Commissioner: We Need To Work Together On Climate Change And Farming

“The debate around agricultural emissions and the ETS has been polarised for too long,” said the Commissioner. “But the ETS is not the only way forward – there are other things that can be done.” More>>


NZ Super Fund: Seeking To Put A Market Price On Climate Change

Oct. 19 (BusinessDesk) - The New Zealand Superannuation Fund says it will devise a set of rules to assess investment winners and losers under climate change, a strategy that could rule out fossil fuels or producers such as current portfolio member Exxon ... More>>


Rejuvenation: Parata Will Not Contest 2017 Election

Education Minister and National List MP Hekia Parata has today announced that she will not be contesting the next election. She advised the Prime Minister of her decision earlier this year. More>>

Prisons Grow: Government Approves Plans For Increased Prison Capacity

Despite significant progress in reducing crime the number of prisoners has increased faster than projected. This is because the proportion of offenders charged with serious crimes has risen, meaning more people are being remanded in custody and serving more of their sentences in prison. More>>


Gordon Campbell: On Plastic Bag Activism, And Street Harassment

Amusing to see the Act Party experiencing another outbreak of young fogey-ism. What has aroused the ire of Act Leader David Seymour this time is the introduction of a Greens private members bill to the ballot process, calling for a 15 cents levy on plastic bags to reduce pollution. More>>


Unclear Weapons: US Navy Ship Cleared To Visit NZ For Navy's 75th

United States Navy ship, the USS Sampson, has been given clearance to visit New Zealand next month by Prime Minister John Key... “The process for considering the visit by the USS Sampson is the same as that used for all ships attending the International Naval Review." More>>


Get More From Scoop



Search Scoop  
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news