Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


New Direction Confirmed for Rotorua District Council

News Release
Thursday 29 May 2014

New Direction Confirmed for Rotorua District Council

Rotorua District Council chief executive Geoff Williams is confident the organisation has been sharpened to support the community’s aspirational vision for the Rotorua district for 2030.

Elected officials and the community worked together last year to create Rotorua 2030 in which a direction was set for Rotorua’s future. This included a commitment to reshape RDC to be a more effective and responsive organisation.
Today, Mr Williams revealed to staff the completed realigned Council core organisation which will take effect from 1 July 2014.

“We believe we have come up with the required model to deliver on the community’s long term vision and the more immediate 2016 priorities,” he said.

“The goal was to create a more efficient, effective and responsive organisation that would enable and navigate in partnership with our various communities and stakeholders.
“This has been a huge body of work by staff and I congratulate them for the professional way they have contributed to the process,” Mr Williams said.

“The realignment has been carried out in support of the sustainable financial framework the organisation is now working to.”

Mayor Steve Chadwick endorses the reorganisation which was called for as part of a public groundswell for change communicated to many elected officials during last year’s election campaign.

“People told us they wanted council working differently and said the organisation was inefficient. The executive has now been able to respond to this.”

Mayor Chadwick said the changes would enable a better organisation and also contribute some $3.5 million towards annual savings – but acknowledged there would also be an impact for the district.

“Some people who are working for the district now will not have a job at RDC once the dust settles and that is unfortunate for us all as that pain will be shared across our community,” Mrs Chadwick said.

“However, I commend Geoff and the staff for taking on the challenge and producing the organisational model required to deliver on our community’s future needs and aspirations.”

Effective 1 July 2014 RDC core services staff numbers will reduce from 388 FTE to 322, a reduction of 66 FTE. Also 192 FTE staff will be transferred to new CCOs and RDC carried historical vacancies into the realignment process.
The projected $3.5million of savings equates to reducing the current personnel cost by 10%.

Some 217 staff have been confirmed or redeployed into roles in the core organisation while 119 have been displaced and will be able to apply for 100 contestable positions. These will be advertised internally and or externally depending on the skills, experience and expertise available within the organisation.

There is no confirmed number of physical staff reductions at this stage as this will vary due to the recruitment process. However, affected staff will continue to have RDC’s Employment Assistance Programme (EAP) support available to them during this process.
The required recruitment process will start across June with the internal positions filled that month and externals through July/August.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

2040 Target And Lower Standards: “Swimmable” Rivers Five Times More Likely To Make You Sick

Forest & Bird has condemned the government’s new water quality standards, warning New Zealanders that they lock in current levels of water pollution and allow for a 5-fold increase in the chance of getting sick from swimming in a river.

“Despite an explicit assurance from Minister Smith that the new water standards would provide for human and ecosystem health, he has failed to deliver on either of these things,” says Forest & Bird CEO Kevin Hague. More>>

ALSO:

 
 

Immigration: Clampdown On Rogue Employers Good First Step

The Human Trafficking Research Coalition is pleased at the new clampdown on rouge employers who exploit migrants announced by Minister Woodhouse this morning, and believes this is a step in the right direction. More>>

ALSO:

Mayor: 750 New Social And Affordable Homes For Wellington (Over A Decade)

The next stage of Wellington’s Housing Upgrade Programme will see at least 750 new units of social and affordable housing built over the next decade, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>

ALSO:

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial. More>>

ALSO:


November Quakes:

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:


Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news