Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Update on Tekapo Lakefront Development

Update on Tekapo Lakefront Development


Work is continuing behind the scenes to ensure construction can happen next spring and summer on the Tekapo Lakefront Development.

Mackenzie District Council chief executive Wayne Barnett says the council is working to gain the appropriate consents and plans to guide work on the new subdivision, which will begin with the construction of roads and utilities like sewerage and water pipes.

A storm water consent for the site is currently being considered by Ngai Tahu.

Tenders have been received for the design of public spaces like car parking and landscaped areas in the Tekapo township. This design work will occur over winter.

The Tekapo Property Group is also discussing issues such the protection of view shafts in the new development. This group meets once every six weeks and supports the council in its role as a land developer. Members of this group are a mix of community representatives, council staff and business people with skills in property development.

The sale of land for commercial development is being negotiated with key businesses who have shown an early interest. Once the subdivision is in place the council will be in a better position to promote the other lots that are available for sale.

Contracts have already been negotiated with Foodstuffs to build a new supermarket, and Earth and Sky to build a base in Tekapo.

Community feedback regarding the location of the Youth Hostel on Lot 5 has been listened to.

Council staff are investigating the feasibility of developing another site for the youth hostel.

“While it doesn’t look like much is happening at the moment, this planning stage is crucial for the success of the development,” Mr Barnett says. “I look forward to providing further updates as things progress.”

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pacific Spying: Mass Surveillance Of NZers Confirmed By Former GCSB Director - Contradicting PM John Key

Scoop Editor Alastair Thompson Reports: Yesterday morning former GCSB Director Sir Bruce Ferguson confirmed mass surveillance of New Zealnders in the Pacific is taking place as revealed in the latest Snowden leaks investigated by Nicky Hager. In 2013 John Key told press gallery reporters that in the event mass surveillance was found have been conducted by the GCSB, he and the director of the GCSB - his childhood friend Ian Fletcher - would resign. As the controversy deepens a year and half later Fletcher has already resigned. But will Key? More>>

Gordon Campbell: Legal Fudging Of The GCSB Revelations

As many have noted, the Hager/Snowden revelations of the spying by our security agencies on our Pacific neighbours and allies is a virtual re-run of the pre-election debate. It is a situation where the government (a) stonewalls, (b) baldly asserts that mass surveillance is not occurring despite the Snowden evidence that it is, and (c) claims that the GCSB actions were lawful. Yet as Greens Co-Leader Russel Norman says, this can be true only if the legislation passed last year by the Key government has made the mass surveillance of New Zealanders – and the related handing over of their private data to the NSA – lawful. More>>

Latest:

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Women's Day, March 8: It’s Time For Men To Step Up For Gender Equality

UN Women is launching the HeForShe campaign in New Zealand at the International Women's Day Parliamentary Breakfast, and is calling on New Zealand men — including politicians and community and sports leaders — to show their commitment to gender equality by signing up to this global campaign. More>>

ALSO:

Teina Pora Wins Appeal: Gordon Campbell On The Privy Council Decision

The quashing of the convictions of Teina Pora for the rape and murder of Susan Burdett in 1992 has shone a spotlight once again on a major gap in the New Zealand justice system... More>>

ALSO:

Urgent Bill Planned: MP Pay Rises To Match Public Service

Prime Minister John Key today announced an overhaul of the Remuneration Authority Act, tying MP salaries to those of the wider public sector, which will be passed under urgency. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Press Conference: MP Pay Rises, Solid Energy, Iraq

Prime Minister John Key answered questions in his Post-Cabinet press conference about the Iraq deployment, Solid Energy and National’s decision to overhaul the Remuneration Authority Act. More>>

ALSO:

Worksafe: MSD Charged Over Work And Income Ashburton Shooting

WorkSafe NZ has laid one charge against the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) in relation to the shooting at the MSD Ashburton office on 1 September 2014 in which two Work and Income staff were killed and another was injured. More>>

ALSO:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news