Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Youth apprehensions decrease attributed to initatives

Media Release: Thursday 5 June


Youth apprehensions decrease attributed to Social Sector Trial initiatives

Police youth apprehensions in Horowhenua continue to decrease and it is being attributed to a united effort throughout the community.

Last year there were 258 apprehensions of youth aged from 12 to 17-years-old, compared with 343 the year before - a 25 percent decrease.

In the two months of January and February this year there was a 57 percent reduction in youth apprehensions, compared to the same period in 2012.

The Social Sector Trial (SST), launched in Horowhenua in 2011 and coordinated by Life to the Max Horowhenua, has enabled the community to redevelop the way that social services are delivered locally and encourage cross-agency collaboration.

Life to the Max board chairperson and Horowhenua Mayor Brendan Duffy says with local agencies, organisations and ministries all working cohesively, it enables greater awareness and understanding, information sharing and data collection.

"From this there has been a multitude of positive flow-on effects and some truly positive results are emerging."

Mayor Duffy says the decrease in youth apprehensions can be linked to an increase in school attendance and a huge range of innovative initiatives aimed to engage youth in positive activities.

The closure rate for non-enrolled student notifications in the district has increased from 21 percent in 2011 to 91 percent in 2013.

"What this means is that 91% of the non-enrolled student notifications reported by local schools to the Attendance Service during 2013, were successfully closed," he said.

"The young people were provided with support and the opportunity to return to mainstream education or transition onto further education or training, assisted by the team at Life to the Max."

The Social Sector Trial has also resulted in improved readily-accessible health care, as well as greater provision of alcohol and other drug counseling services for young people.

HLC now hosts the Youth One Stop Shop (YOSS) Clinic providing free doctor and nurse services for 12 – 24 year olds, as well as school-based clinics at both Horowhenua and Manawatu Colleges. At Waiopehu College there is the district's Teen Parenting Unit – He Whare Manaaki Tangata - and the Blake House medical facility.

Whaioro Trust has been able to employ a second full-time Youth Alcohol and Other Drug counsellor, providing youth with faster access to one-to-one counselling. The Trust also provides group education at schools to raise awareness and address the harm that alcohol and other drugs may have.

In addition, the Social Sector Trial has initiated school holiday programmes such as dance, information technology, and fishing. Life to the Max staff have also collaborated with various community organisations to help organise community events including the Nua Children’s Day event, Dad’s Day Out and Pasifika Youth Jandal Jam.

"These are all designed to ensure that young people in our community have the opportunity to engage in positive activities, to try new things and to create positive mentoring opportunities while developing their skills in leadership and resiliency," Mayor Duffy said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news