Traffic update – week of 9 June, 2014
And don’t forget the Transportforchristchurch web information: http://www.transportforchristchurch.govt.nz/central-city-traffic-from-june-9th/
Traffic update – week of 9 June, 2014
New work starting
• Bealey Avenue will be down to two lanes eastbound between Manchester and Barbadoes streets during the day, and down to one lane at night
• Madras Street will be down to one lane from Latimer Square north to Bealey Avenue
• Barbadoes Street and Tuam Street intersection – it is expected that from Monday 9 June (weather dependent) there will be no through route for vehicles westbound on Tuam Street across Barbadoes Street. This is expected to last 10 days
Expect delays on
these roads during peak times
• Barbadoes Street is down to a single lane in places between Bealey Avenue and Moorhouse Avenue
• Durham Street North is down to a single lane between Salisbury Street and Moorhouse Avenue
• Madras Street is down to a single lane between Moorhouse Avenue and Lichfield Street.
• Gasson Street approaching Moorhouse Avenue. We recommend if you are using Gasson Street and intend to continue north towards the Central City, go down Brougham Street and use Waltham Road and Fitzgerald Avenue to go north instead.
• Use the four avenues for cross-town journeys - go around rather than through.
• Fitzgerald Avenue is a reliable route for both north and southbound journeys.
• Use Montreal Street for northbound travel.
• To access the Central City from Bealey Avenue, use Colombo Street and Manchester Street.
For more information and tips on ways to get around the Central City go tohttp://www.transportforchristchurch.govt.nz/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/CBD-Map-6th-June.pdf
Work outside the Four Aves
Wilsons Road (between the Centaurus
Road roundabout and Koromiko Street)
A one-way system heading north towards the city is now in place between the Centaurus Road roundabout and Koromiko Street until approximately 11 June 2014. A detour is in place via Gamblins Road or Koromiko Street and onto Centaurus Road.
Ferry Road – night works
Night works on Ferry Road originally scheduled for Sunday 8 June have been delayed. The night works on Ferry Road at the intersection of Rutherford Street and Palinurus Road are now expected to start on Wednesday 11 June.
There will be no through traffic on Ferry Road at this intersection and several detours will be in place. Work will take place between the hours of 6pm and 6am and is expected to take approximately two weeks to complete.
Road/Gould Crescent intersection – night works
From Sunday 8 June there will be night works at the Ferry Road and Gould Crescent intersection while a section of wastewater main is replaced.
These works will take place between 6pm and 6am. During work hours a one way system will be in place eastbound on Ferry Road between Palinurus Road and the Tunnel Road roundabout. A detour for westbound traffic will be in place.
bridge area, Dallington
As previously advised, the Gayhurst Road Bridge is closed to all motorists, detours are in place. Pedestrians and cyclists can continue to use the bridge until the temporary footbridge is open.
A section of Avonside Drive, between Retreat Road and Gloucester Street near the Gayhurst Road bridge is closed for safety reasons while work is carried out on the bridge.
Sections of Locksley Avenue and Dallington Terrace are also closed near the Gayhurst Road bridge and will remain closed for the duration of the work on the bridge.
A one-way system is also in place on Avonside Drive eastbound between Gloucester Street Ngarimu Street. A detour is in place for westbound traffic.
Drive closed between Trent Street and Stanmore Road
Avonside Drive remains closed between Stanmore Road and Trent Street while wastewater repair work is carried out. This part of Avonside Drive is expected to remain closed until late July 2014.
Shortland Street one way,
Shortland Street will be one way between Wainoni and Pages Road (heading south east towards Pages Road), as early as Monday 9 June. Shortland Street is expected to remain one way until late 2014 while repairs are carried out.
Main Road –
Work is coming up on Main Road between McCormacks Bay Road and the Redcliffs moa cave to install a new wastewater pressure main.
This work is expected to
begin late June/early July, exact dates will be confirmed
before works begin. This work is expected to take
approximately six weeks to complete.
Stages of this work will involve a lane closure and a temporary road closure along Main Road. There will be detours in place via Celia Street and Beachville Road.
Thank you to everyone for being patient as SCIRT crews make progress city-wide, and to everyone who continues to go the extra mile to support their local businesses.