Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Site for Eastern Recreation and Sport Centre considered

Advisory group to consider site for Eastern Recreation and Sport Centre

Representatives from eight community and sport organisations have been appointed to an advisory group that will recommend a site for the new Eastern Recreation and Sport Centre.

The advisory group will comprise representatives from Youth Alive Trust, Rawhiti Community Sports Inc, Aranui Community Trust Incorporated Society (ACTIS), Tumara Park Residents' Association, Avondale Residents' Association, Coastal Spirit Football Club, Keep QEII in the East and Eastern Vision. The advisory group will meet for the first time today (Thursday 12 June). The successful candidates were chosen for their community knowledge and expertise. Collectively, they also cover a wide area of north east Christchurch

Two Burwood/Pegasus Community Board members, Chair Andrea Cummings and Linda Stewart, will sit on the advisory group. Council staff, who will not vote, will also be present to provide information and advice. There will be an independent facilitator.

The advisory group's key objective is to recommend to the Council a suitable location for the recreation and sport centre in the north east of Christchurch and the main features that will be in the facility.

Burwood/Pegasus Community Board Chair Andrea Cummings says this is a milestone for residents in the east who have sorely missed having access to recreational facilities since the loss of QEII.

"We're looking forward to hearing the views of residents, and to some robust discussion. The formation of the advisory group is an important step forward."

The six top locations for the Eastern Recreation and Sport Centre currently are: Aranui High School, Clare Park, Central New Brighton, Cuthberts Green, Prestons and QEII Park. As well as the options already put forward, the advisory group will also be able to suggest alternative sites.

The advisory group will meet four to five times over the next five weeks and will report to the Burwood/Pegasus Community Board at the conclusion of the process. A report with a suggested recommendation will then go to the Council for final approval.

In June 2012, the Council agreed an Eastern facility should be built on the QEII site, or an agreed alternative location, to replace the damaged QEII Sport and Recreation Centre.

A budget of $30.5 million has been allocated to the Eastern Recreation and Sport Centre in the 2012/13 Annual Plan and subsequently brought into the Christchurch City Three Year Plan (TYP). The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal Trust has also given $6.5million for water attractions at the facility.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Hager Revelations: Inquiry Into NZSIS Release Of Goff Docs

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security (IGIS), Cheryl Gwyn, announced today that she would be instituting an inquiry concerning allegations that the New Zealand Security Intelligence Service (NZSIS) might have released official information to Mr Cameron Slater, regarding briefings provided to the then Leader of the Opposition, for political purposes...

“I am satisfied there is a sufficient public interest justifying the commencement of an own-motion inquiry into the substance of the issues raised with my Office,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

Goff: Director’s Letter Contradicts Key’s Claims

At yesterday’s media standup, when asked on the topic John Key said ‘I wasn’t told’...
“In a letter dated November 2011 former SIS director Warren Tucker states three times that ‘in accordance with the usual practice of keeping the minister informed’ the Prime Minister had been told. More>>

  • Image Link - Key maintains he wasn't told about OIA (Now with further evidence) - Newstalk ZB

  •  

    Parliament Today:

    Electionresults.co.nz: National and NZ First Rise in Roy Morgan Poll

    National has bounced back in the latest Roy Morgan Poll but the big winner has been New Zealand First who rise to their highest level of support since September 2013. More>>

    ALSO:

    Fish Pun Warning: By Hoki! It’s Labour’s Fisheries Policy

    A Labour Government will protect the iconic Kiwi tradition of fishing by improving access to the coast, protecting the rights of recreational fishers and reviewing snapper restrictions, Labour’s Fisheries spokesperson Damien O’Connor says. More>>

    ALSO:

    It's Official: Governor General Gives Direction To Conduct Election

    The Governor General has signed the writ directing the Electoral Commission to conduct the General Election on 20 September 2014. This is the formal authority to run the 2014 election, and enables candidate nominations to open tomorrow Thursday 21 August 2014. More>>

    Gordon Campbell: No More Mr Nice Guy

    When future historians seek to identify the exact moment when the prime ministerial career of John Key hit the downward slope, they may well point to Key’s interview yesterday with Guyon Espiner on RNZ’s Morning Report. More>>

    ALSO:

    Dirty (Politics) Weekend: Collins’ Admission Reason For Key To Act

    "Despite claiming that the evidence about her in Nicky Hager's book was ‘false’ Judith Collins has now been forced to admit that she did send information about a Ministerial Services staff member to Cameron Slater for him to use in a baseless smear campaign. More>>

    ALSO:

    Potential Disasters: Underground Coal Fire On Denniston Plateau

    Forest & Bird says one or more coal fires have broken out beneath the Denniston Plateau, and that the Department of Conservation (DOC) must stop Bathurst Resources’ preparatory mining work going on there until the fire or fires are extinguished. More>>

    ALSO:

    Bikes: Nats Plan $100 Million For Urban Cycleways

    Prime Minister John Key has today announced $100 million in new funding will be made available over the next four years to accelerate cycleways in urban centres. More>>

    ALSO:

    New Tax Bracket, Child Poverty Fund: Greens Launch Billion Dollar Plan To Reduce Child Poverty

    The Green Party has launched a billion dollar package to significantly reduce child poverty in New Zealand. The details of the plan were released at the party’s campaign launch in Auckland. More>>

    ALSO:

    Get More From Scoop

     

    LATEST HEADLINES

     
     
     
     
     
     
     
     
    Regional
    Search Scoop  
     
     
    Powered by Vodafone
    NZ independent news