Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Dirty Diesel Buses are the Problem for Wgtn not the Trolleys

Wellington's Dirty Diesel Buses are the Problem for Wellington, not the Trolleys, say Councillors

The problem with the Wellington bus fleet are the hundreds of old, dirty, polluting diesel buses, not the clean trolley buses, Wellington Regional Councillors Sue Kedgley and Paul Bruce said today.

"Wellington has more than 200 old-style diesel buses, which are dirty, noisy and polluting," Sue Kedgley said today. "These old diesel buses pose a health risk to Wellingtonians and contribute to climate change. The Council should get rid of these dirty diesel buses, not the climate-friendly, zero emitting trolley buses," Sue Kedgley said today.

"If the Wellington Regional Council wants to purchase hybrid buses, it should use the hybrids to replace the old polluting diesel buses, not the trolley buses," Paul Bruce said today.

Sue Kedgley said the International Agency for Research on Cancer has declared diesel exhaust fumes to be class one carcinogens, in the same category as asbestos and arsenic, and a cause of lung cancer. "The tiny particulets in diesel can lodge deep inside the lungs, enter the bloodstream and spread into the organs of the body, and contribute to asthma, bronchitis and heart disease. Wellingtonians are being exposed to these cancer-causing particulates every day in Wellington, from our dirty old diesel fleet. The priority must be to get rid of them," Ms Kedgley said.

Mr Bruce pointed out that diesel buses emit greenhouse gases into the atmosphere even with the higher Euro6 standards, whereas trolley buses have no greenhouse emissions themselves. "That's why trolley buses are enjoying a renaissance around the world. Many environmentally friendly cities such as Vancouver, Seattle and San Francisco are expanding and upgrading their trolley bus fleets because they recognize that they are a sustainable, non polluting form of public transport."

Forty million dollars has been spent recently modernizing the trolley bus fleet, which is only 6 years old and has a further 15-20 years of life left. "And yet this Council is proposing to send 60 modern trolley buses to the scrapheap —it is lunacy, Ms Kedgley said.

"We don’t accept Council figures about how much it would cost to upgrade the electricity sub-stations," Mr Bruce said. "We believe they could be upgraded for substantially less than the Council claims. And it would still be an excellent investment to upgrade the substations, as it would enable a modernised trolley bus fleet to survive a further fifty years."

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The Tokenism Of New Zealand's Role Against Islamic State

To date, the Opposition has continued to occupy itself with the marginalia of the issue. E.g. whether Key did or didn’t know whether Barack Obama would be present at the US briefing last week on IS, or whether New Zealand’s military involvement is or isn’t already a fait accompli.

It might be better to tackle the issue, head on. Our contribution against IS will be to send SAS forces to train the Iraqis? That’s like offering trainers to General Custer just as the 7th cavalry reached the Little Big Horn.
More>>

 
 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On Pharmac, Gough Whitlam And Sleater-Kinney

We’re not at the outset of these negotiations. The outset was six years ago, and negotiators were hoping to have some sort of ‘framework’ deal finished in time for the APEC meeting in a few weeks’ time. These ‘extreme’ positions are what we’ve reached near the intended end of the negotiations… More>>

ALSO:

PM Of Many Hats: October 22 — Parliament Today

Dr RUSSEL NORMAN (Co-Leader – Green) to the Prime Minister: How many times since November 2008 has he spoken with blogger Cameron Slater on the phone and how many times, if any, has he texted him?
Rt Hon JOHN KEY (Prime Minister): None in my capacity as Prime Minister. More>>

ALSO:

Aussie Investigation Dropped: Call On Minister McCully To Pursue The Case Of Balibo Five

West Papua Action is deeply concerned at the lack of any clear outcome from the Australian Federal Police inquiry into the 1975 deaths of the ‘Balibo Five’ including NZ journalist Gary Cunningham. More>>

ALSO:

'Feed The Kids' Bill: Metiria Turei To Lead Fight On Feeding Hungry Children

Green Party Co-leader Metiria Turei is urging all political parties to support the Feed the Kids Bill which she inherited today from Mana leader Hone Harawira. More>>

Parliament Today: State Opening Of Parliament

The House sat at 10.30am on Tuesday before MPs were summoned to hear the Speech from the Throne in the Legislative Council Chamber. More>>

ALSO:

Tertiary Education: Students Doing It Tough As Fees Rise Again

The Government is making it increasingly difficult for Kiwis to gain tertiary education as fees continue to rise and access to student support becomes even more restricted, Labour’s Tertiary Education spokesperson Chris Hipkins says. More>>

ALSO:

Housing, Iraq: PM Press Conference – 20 October 2014

Prime Minister John Key met with press today to discuss:
• Housing prices and redevelopment in Auckland
• Discussions with Tony Abbott on the governmental response to ISIS, and New Zealand’s election to the UN Security Council More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Review Team Named, Leadership Campaign Starts

Labour’s New Zealand Council has appointed Bryan Gould as Convenor of its post-General Election Review. He will be joined on the Review Team by Hon Margaret Wilson, Stacey Morrison and Brian Corban.

ALSO:

Roy Morgan Poll: National Slips, Labour Hits Lows

The first New Zealand Roy Morgan Poll since the NZ Election shows National 43.5% (down 3.54% since the September 20 Election). This isn’t unusual, National support has dropped after each of John Key’s Election victories... However, support for the main opposition Labour Party has crashed to 22.5% (down 2.63% and the lowest support for Labour since the 1914 NZ Election as United Labour). More>>

ALSO:

In On First Round: New Zealand Wins Security Council Seat

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed New Zealand securing a place on the United Nations Security Council for the 2015-16 term. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news