Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Public to have say on noise standards and South Frame plan


Public to have say on noise standards and South Frame planning


Media Release – 13 June 2014


The public is being invited to give its views on proposed changes to noise standards in central Christchurch, and proposed planning rules relating to the city’s new South Frame.

Noise standards in Christchurch City Council’s City Plan – relating to noise under human control in private places such as amplified music – were altered to reflect the changing circumstances when the Christchurch Central Recovery Plan was introduced in 2012.

Christchurch Central Development Unit director Warwick Isaacs says there has been further consideration since then about what is needed in the central city to encourage the development of hospitality and nightlife.

“The proposal is for some minor changes to the day-time decibel limits allowed in certain areas of the central city, and some adjustment to the size of those areas and timings,” Mr Isaacs says.

“The night-time noise standards that are currently allowed will not change. We have been very mindful of the effect any change might make on those living and working in the central city. I think the proposed changes strike a good balance in providing a central city that is vibrant and liveable.”

The noise standards are enforced by the Christchurch City Council.

The South Frame, including the Innovation and Health Precincts, was outlined as a new feature of central Christchurch in the Recovery Plan – an area bringing together a mix of uses including business and education with quality public space and laneways.

“As the design concept for the South Frame has been refined, it became apparent that the underlying Central City Mixed Use and Central City Business zones in the City Plan for this area will not allow the vision for the South Frame to be achieved,” Mr Isaacs says.

“The proposed changes to the planning framework for the South Frame are intended to address this.”

The changes proposed to both noise standards and the South Frame planning framework can be viewed at www.ccdu.govt.nz/the-plan, or by visiting the offices of the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority, Level 8, HSBC Tower, 62 Worcester Boulevard, or public libraries or Christchurch City Council service centres.

Comment can be made online on the CCDU website, by emailing info@cera.govt.nz, or posted to ‘South Frame Planning Framework’, CERA, Private Bag 4999, Christchurch 8140. Comment on the proposed changes can be made up to 5pm on Saturday 12 July, 2014, and any comments received will be considered before any change is made.

Any changes that are approved, under the Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Act 2011, will amend the Recovery Plan and direct that the required changes are made to the City Plan (being the District Plan under the Resource Management Act 1991).

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Two Dead, One Injured: Suspect Charged After Ashburton Shooting

Russell John Tully has appeared in Christchurch District Court. Tully has been remanded in custody on charges of murder of Peg Noble and Leigh Cleveland and attempted murder of Lindy Curtis.

The victim’s families and the victim have requested that their privacy be respected and will not be making a statement at this time.

Police have formed a picture of what has occurred yesterday and are appealing for further information and sightings .... More

 

Parliament Today:

John Key Press Conference: Ashburton Shootings, Judith Collins Inquiry

Prime Minister John Key has delayed the release of Nationals’ fiscal policy in light of this morning’s shooting at a Work and Income office in Ashburton... Key also answered questions about Judith Collins, and confirmed that independent inquiry will be held with regard to allegations made against Collins. More>>

ALSO:

Internet MANA: Georgina Beyer Rocks The Waka

“There is now, and always will be, a range of views about many issues within our movement and members are free to express them, but Georgina’s views on Kim Dotcom are not shared by the MANA Movement leadership or the vast majority of MANA members and supporters around the country” states MANA Candidate for Waiariki, Annette Sykes. More>>

ALSO:

IGIS Update: Inquiry Into Release Of NZSIS Information

The Inquiry would be conducted in private and individuals would appear before her separately over a period of more than a week. She does not intend to name those summoned to give evidence until her report is published. “I can confirm that all persons summoned will be required to appear under oath...” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On John Key’s ‘Blame It On Judith’ Strategy

Right now, Prime Minister John Key seems intent on limiting the scope of any inquiry into his government’s dealings with Cameron Slater. The declared aim is to make that inquiry solely about Judith Collins’ behavior with respect to the Serious Fraud Office. More>>

ALSO:

Maori Council Lawyers' Statement: Supreme Court Decision On Maori Water Rights

“…the Supreme Court refused to give Pouakani people what they asked for, but may have given them something much, much better instead… the Supreme Court has questioned whether the Crown owns the River at all.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Debate, And The Collins Accusation

Debating is a peculiar discipline in that what you say is less important than how you’re saying it. Looking poised, being articulate and staying on topic generally wins the day – and on that score, Labour leader David Cunliffe won what turned out to be a bruising encounter with Prime Minister John Key last night on TVNZ. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Winston Peters' Latest Bout Of Immigrant Bashing

It is only one poll, but rather than cannibalising each other's vote, Colin Craig and Winston Peters do seem to be managing to find the room to co-exist... Few are questioning how Peters got to this happy place, and what it says about the mood of the electorate. More>>

ALSO:

More Immigration News: First People Trafficking Charges

The first people trafficking charges in New Zealand have been brought by Immigration New Zealand (INZ)... The defendants have been charged under the Crimes Act 1961 for arranging by deception the entry of 18 Indian nationals into New Zealand. More>>

Collins 'Misinterprets Media Reports': "Too Compromised To Remain Justice Minister"

Bizarre claims by Judith Collins this morning that she had been cleared of inappropriate behaviour by the Privacy Commissioner demonstrates she is too compromised to remain Justice Minister, Labour MP Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news