Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


More jail time for repeat offender

More jail time for repeat offender

A repeat offender, previously convicted for possessing and distributing child sex abuse images, has been jailed again – this time for almost three years.

Graeme Murray Purvis, 50, an unemployed truck driver, appeared for sentence in the Dunedin District Court today on nine charges of distributing and 10 of possessing images of children being sexually abused or exploited. Most of them were of girls aged between five and 16 but there were also images of boys. He was sentenced to two years’ and 11 months’ prison.

Purvis committed these offences while on parole from prison for similar offending. He was caught after an Internal Affairs inspector followed up information from Microsoft and the United States’ National Center for Missing and Exploited Children that a New Zealander had uploaded an objectionable image on the Internet in July 2012. The inspector recognised Purvis from previous investigations.

In December 2009 Purvis was jailed for three and half years on 22 charges involving the possession, distribution and making of objectionable publications and attempted sexual grooming of a 15-year-old girl. He was released in March 2012 and further offending was detected four months later. His parole conditions at the time included a six-month ban on connecting to the Internet.

In seeking another prison sentence, Internal Affairs told the court there were no mitigating factors. Purvis was a convicted repeat offender; he appeared to have taken the first possible opportunity to reoffend after being released from prison and his guilty plea came just before he was scheduled to stand trial.

Community Safety Manager, Steve O’Brien, said it was the second time Purvis’s offending had been detected overseas.

“We are part of an international network of government agencies which swap intelligence about people trafficking in child sex abuse material,” Mr O’Brien said. “As Mr Purvis appreciates, we have again demonstrated that we can locate offenders and get the necessary evidence despite their best efforts to conceal offending.”

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

2014 General Election: Voting Period Begins

The first votes for the 2014 general election will be cast today, Wednesday 3 September, as advance voting begins ahead of election day on Saturday 20 September.

“Election day is September 20, but if you want, you can vote from today,” says Chief Electoral Officer Robert Peden. “Almost 300 advance voting places will be available around the country for people to cast early votes.”

Times and opening hours will vary around the country to suit local needs. More>>

 
 

Parliament Today:

Two Dead, One Injured: Suspect Charged After Ashburton Shooting

Russell John Tully has appeared in Christchurch District Court. Tully has been remanded in custody on charges of murder of Peg Noble and Leigh Cleveland and attempted murder of Lindy Curtis. More>>

ALSO:

John Key Press Conference: Ashburton Shootings, Judith Collins Inquiry

Prime Minister John Key has delayed the release of Nationals’ fiscal policy in light of this morning’s shooting at a Work and Income office in Ashburton... Key also answered questions about Judith Collins, and confirmed that independent inquiry will be held with regard to allegations made against Collins. More>>

ALSO:

Internet MANA: Georgina Beyer Rocks The Waka

“There is now, and always will be, a range of views about many issues within our movement and members are free to express them, but Georgina’s views on Kim Dotcom are not shared by the MANA Movement leadership or the vast majority of MANA members and supporters around the country” states MANA Candidate for Waiariki, Annette Sykes. More>>

ALSO:

IGIS Update: Inquiry Into Release Of NZSIS Information

The Inquiry would be conducted in private and individuals would appear before her separately over a period of more than a week. She does not intend to name those summoned to give evidence until her report is published. “I can confirm that all persons summoned will be required to appear under oath...” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On John Key’s ‘Blame It On Judith’ Strategy

Right now, Prime Minister John Key seems intent on limiting the scope of any inquiry into his government’s dealings with Cameron Slater. The declared aim is to make that inquiry solely about Judith Collins’ behavior with respect to the Serious Fraud Office. More>>

ALSO:

Maori Council Lawyers' Statement: Supreme Court Decision On Maori Water Rights

“…the Supreme Court refused to give Pouakani people what they asked for, but may have given them something much, much better instead… the Supreme Court has questioned whether the Crown owns the River at all.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Debate, And The Collins Accusation

Debating is a peculiar discipline in that what you say is less important than how you’re saying it. Looking poised, being articulate and staying on topic generally wins the day – and on that score, Labour leader David Cunliffe won what turned out to be a bruising encounter with Prime Minister John Key last night on TVNZ. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news