Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Ruakituri River decision

Ruakituri River decision


Eastern Fish and Game Council lifts boat restrictions Ruato Bay, changes other fishing rules


The Eastern Fish and Game Council has moved to amend some of its fishing rules after anglers were given their say on a variety of proposed changes.

The Council met last week to consider proposed changes to the Angler’s Notice which lays down the fishing rules and regulations for the region.

Councillors agreed to remove the ‘no-boat fishing’ restrictions around Ruato Bay on Lake Rotoiti, in a move which will take effect from the next fishing season which begins on October 1 2014.

Council chairman Murray Ferris says the autumn restriction on fishing from a boat in this area is being lifted because a three year trial to see if this improved shoreline fishing had shown no change in winter catch rates.

Another rule change applies to Lake Tarawera – the Eastern Council decided to lower the maximum size limit for wild trout from 65cm to 62cm.

Mr Ferris says that even dropping from 65cm to 62cm, the impact on most anglers who catch mainly hatchery fish in the lake, will be minimal.

“The limit is important to protect large wild trout, and assist the Tarawera Selective Breeding programme that sources parent fish to grow in the hatchery, and produce fingerlings which are released across many North Island lakes.”

A proposal to allow some bait fishing (scented soft baits, insect and worm) in Lake Okaro or Okareka was put on hold to gather more information. The current prohibition on using baits in the Rotorua lakes will continue to apply.

The Council also agreed to restrict the use of motors and anchors for fishing in the Tuai Lakes near Waikaremoana (Lake Whakamarino and Kaitawa) to help protect the valuable Waikaremoana fishery from weed being transferred from the smaller lakes.

Mr Ferris says that one of the more contentious proposals was to permit spin fishing in the lower reaches of the Ruakituri River and allow anglers to fish the same section all year. The unanimous decision of the Council was to stay with the “status quo” and gather more information on the fishery.

The vote to leave unchanged the current regulations was taken after some discussion, and hearing from Ruakituri locals including a spokesman for the Ruakituri Resident’s and Ratepayer’s Association.

Eastern Council Chairman Murray Ferris describes the decision as a commonsense and democratic one, which shows the council has listened to the concerns of local landowners and residents.

“We regret that our proposal became the subject of a great deal of mis-information and emotion – in particular the completely false suggestion that the whole river would be opened to spin fishing.

“The proposed change only ever applied to the lower section of the river but regrettably the facts were misrepresented. There is good science and many years of research that shows the fishery would sustain some additional angling and we are obliged to increase angler opportunities where we can. However we can’t so this without taking key stakeholders along with us so we have more work to do in this area. ”

Mr Ferris says that he has already noted that staff will take steps to meet with landowners and try and better explain that the aim of the proposal had been to create opportunities for younger or novice anglers in particular to fish in a part of the renowned East Coast river — especially as the lower part is less heavily fished than the upper reaches.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

2040 Target And Lower Standards: “Swimmable” Rivers Five Times More Likely To Make You Sick

Forest & Bird has condemned the government’s new water quality standards, warning New Zealanders that they lock in current levels of water pollution and allow for a 5-fold increase in the chance of getting sick from swimming in a river.

“Despite an explicit assurance from Minister Smith that the new water standards would provide for human and ecosystem health, he has failed to deliver on either of these things,” says Forest & Bird CEO Kevin Hague. More>>

ALSO:

 
 

Immigration: Clampdown On Rogue Employers Good First Step

The Human Trafficking Research Coalition is pleased at the new clampdown on rouge employers who exploit migrants announced by Minister Woodhouse this morning, and believes this is a step in the right direction. More>>

ALSO:

Mayor: 750 New Social And Affordable Homes For Wellington (Over A Decade)

The next stage of Wellington’s Housing Upgrade Programme will see at least 750 new units of social and affordable housing built over the next decade, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>

ALSO:

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial. More>>

ALSO:


November Quakes:

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:


Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news