Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Pipes or pipis? Marinas or marsh birds?

Pipes or pipis? Marinas or marsh birds?

20 June 2014

Bay of Plenty Regional Council says you can have a say on how the region’s coastal areas should be cared for, by making a submission on the Proposed Bay of Plenty Regional Coastal Environment Plan by Friday 22 August 2014.

Regional Council Strategy General Manager Fiona McTavish, said that it’s important for people to take a look at the plan and let Council know what they think, especially if they’re interested in protecting or using areas in the coastal environment.

The Proposed Plan includes new rules for mangrove removal, aquaculture and sewage discharge from boats. It also contains new policies for managing tsunami risk and identifies four new Harbour Development Zones in the Tauranga Harbour.

Areas with significant natural and wildlife values have been re-classified and re-mapped. Under the Proposed Plan the most sensitive of these areas will be protected from activities like mining and petroleum extraction, vehicle use, land reclamation and digging new drains.

“The Regional Coastal Plan informs city and district council plans and guides Regional Council’s work and resource consent decisions. It puts controls in place for activities in the coastal marine area, like building sea walls or boat ramps, dredging, and removing mangroves,” she said.

The Proposed Plan outlines how infrastructure and other activities can be provided for in the coastal environment, whilst ensuring water quality and areas with special natural, cultural, recreational or historic values are protected, along the region’s coastline and up to 12 nautical miles out to sea.

“The last plan was completed in 2003. Since then, community demands have changed, new information has been gathered and new legislation and coastal policy have been adopted. The Proposed Plan reflects those changes,” said Mrs McTavish.

“We’ve consulted widely and worked hard to provide a plan that is appropriately balanced between protection and use of the coastal environment. The public notification phase is a final opportunity for people to tell us if there are parts of the plan they particularly agree or disagree with, and let us know if they think further changes are needed,” she said.

A Coastal State of the Environment Report has also been prepared. It provides a summary of current management activities, threats and environmental monitoring information relating to the Bay of Plenty coastal environment. The report is available at www.boprc.govt.nz/coastalreport.

From Tuesday 24 June, the plan & submission information will be available at www.boprc.govt.nz/coastalplan or from Regional Council offices, public libraries, district and city council offices in the region.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gaza.Scoop: UNRWA School, Ambulances Attacked - Gaza MOH

The Ministry of Health Gaza expresses its horror and outrage at the latest Israeli massacre moments ago at an UNRWA school sheltering displaced persons in Beit Hanoun. Ten people have been killed and there is a large number of wounded. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Minister Told Of FBI Investigation, Says INZ: Coleman Must Quit Or Be Sacked Over Dotcom Case - Harré

Immigration New Zealand has done the right thing in distancing itself from Jonathan Coleman’s claims that ministers were not aware of FBI involvement in Kim Dotcom’s residency application, says the Internet Party. More>>

ALSO:

Valedictory Season: Maori Party Founders Say Goodbye

Two major Maori MPs gave there farewell speeches to Parliament Thursday outlining their history, experiences, triumphs and regrets. More>>

ALSO:

Resignation Not Accepted: Transport Minister Breaches Aviation Security Rules

"Running late for a plane at Christchurch Airport, I without thought breached airport and airline security rules by entering the gate lounge through a door usually used for exit only..." More>>

ALSO:

TAIC Report: Urgent Recommendations After Melling Rail Accident

The Transport Accident Investigation Commission has made four urgent recommendations to KiwiRail following the accident two months ago (27 May) when a Matangi passenger train collided with a stop block at Melling Station, Lower Hutt. More>>

ALSO:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news