Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Wellington and Hutt Valley bus service interruptions 25 June

Media Release

20 June 2014

Wellington and Hutt Valley bus service interruptions on Wednesday 25 June

Wellington and Hutt Valley bus commuters are being advised to make alternate travel arrangements on Wednesday 25 June as a result of a two-hour union stop work meeting starting at 10.30am. Disruptions to services will start from 9:00am.

The Wellington Tramways and Manufacturers and Construction Workers unions have called the meeting to inform their members of the implications of Greater Wellington Regional Council’s pending decision to adopt the draft Regional Public Transport Plan and terminate the city’s trolley bus services in 2017.

The unions represent over 500 NZ Bus drivers and depot staff that work on the Go Wellington and Valley Flyer fleets.

All Go Wellington bus services will cease between 9:00am and 3:00pm on Wednesday 25 June, while reduced Valley Flyer bus services will operate during these times.

Airport Flyer, Mana / Newlands and school bus services will NOT be affected. Full bus services will resume by 3:00pm.

NZ Bus Chief Executive Zane Fulljames says he apologises for the inconvenience to commuters.

“The Council is due to make its decision on Thursday and while we recognise that some commuters will be impacted as a result of this meeting, we support the unions’ right to take the time to ensure their members are properly informed of what the draft Plan means for them, including the implications of ending trolley services and transitioning to new technology,” says Mr Fulljames.

Trolley buses have been operating in Wellington city since 1949 and NZ Bus staff are proud of the technology and its benefits. In 2007 NZ Bus invested $36 million in modernising the trolley fleet. There are 60 trolley buses currently in operation out of the region wide bus fleet of 517, of which the remainder are diesels.

Mr Fulljames says any potential transition to a fully hybrid fleet is a significant change and carries specific implications for workshop staff who do not have the specialist skills required for electrical fleet maintenance.

For more information on the services that will be maintained on Wednesday 25 June go to www.metlink.org.nz.

All bus services will be restored to their regular schedules by 3:00pm.

NZ Bus again apologises for any inconvenience caused.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

#SaveCampbellLive : Mediaworks Delivered 104,000 Petition Signatures At TV3's Newton HQ
#PonyTailGate #TailGate Full Coverage

Pukeahu Park : ANZAC 100th Anniversary Dawn Service In Pictures

Roughly 18,000 people gathered this morning at Pukeahu Memorial Park for the Anzac day centenary. Anticipating the large turnout, patrons arrived as early as 4.30. It was virtually impossible to get near the Memorial after 5am. By 6, the crowds on Taranaki Street had stretched as far back as the Z Petrol station.

The screens erected around the park displayed the live events to those who had turned up. The heat generated by the huge number of people caused many to take a turn. Medics and ambulances were on hand for the fainting crowd members. Only twenty minutes into the ceremony, one medic said they had already dealt with 15 to 20 spells. More>>

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

War: What’s To Commemorate?

Gordon Campbell in Werewolf: Is there anything that can be validly commemorated on this 100th anniversary of Gallipoli? Beyond, that is, a fleeting sense of empathy with the thousands of soldiers killed or wounded on April 25 1915 and in the months thereafter, until the whole thing was finally called off in December 1915. More>>

MORE IN WEREWOLF:

ALSO:

Peter Ellis Case: Minister Declines Request For Commission Of Inquiry

Justice Minister Amy Adams has declined a request from supporters of Peter Ellis for a Commission of Inquiry on the basis that an inquiry cannot be used to determine the liability of any person. More>>

Quakes: New Process For Red Zone Crown Offers

Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee has announced a process to give everyone a say on the Crown offers to owners of vacant, commercial/industrial and uninsured properties in the Residential Red Zone. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Battle Obama Is Waging Over The TPP

For the past two and a half years, this column has been arguing that the fate of the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) deal will hinge on whether US President Barack Obama can win Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) from Congress... Last week, the White House finally, finally unveiled a draft TPA Bill. More>>

ALSO:

Greens: Govt Breaks Free Doctors Visit Promise To Kids

Documents obtained by the Green Party show that the Government decided to fund only 90 percent of doctors’ visits for children suffering from an injury in an attempt trim the cost of the so-called “free” visits. More>>

ALSO:

Other Wars: Extension Of NZDF Commitment In Afghanistan

The New Zealand Defence Force’s commitment of mentors and support staff to the Afghan National Army Officer Academy in Afghanistan has been extended out to December 2016, Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

PM's Press Conference: Auckland Property Prices Increasing "Too Rapidly"

John Key accepted that Auckland property prices 'are going up too rapidly” in a press conference held today in Wellington, however he said that this is not anything new. More>>

ALSO:

Press Conference: ANZAC PMs Concerned About ISIL Bringing The War Home

Prime Minister Key and Prime Minister Abbott spoke of the bond formed between Australia and New Zealand in the “baptism of fire” of Gallipoli. Abbott stated that New Zealand and Australia’s values and interests are linked, and this is reflected in the joint operation in Iraq which will begin shortly. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news