Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Down time for latest leg of Furlong investigation

Down time for latest leg of Furlong investigation

Wednesday, 25 June 2014 - 1:53pm

National News

Operation Darlia, the most recent two year Police investigation into the 1993 disappearance and murder of 17 year-old Jane Furlong, has been wound down.

Staff who have worked on the homicide investigation since Jane's remains were discovered at Port Waikato's Sunset Beach on May 19, 2012, have been redeployed to other duties.

Officer in charge of the investigation, Detective Inspector Mark Benefield, says the homicide file will remain open but, as of June 30, Jane's murder will no longer be actively investigated unless new information comes to Police.

"Staff have committed thousands of hours and have progressed the investigation well beyond where it was prior to Jane being unexpectedly found two years ago.

"We have explored hundreds of theories and a number of leads and I am confident that, if we get the right information from the right people in due course, we will be able to tell Jane's family who was responsible for her disappearance and death.

"I'm very proud of the work the Operation Darlia team has done over the past two years and take this opportunity to publicly thank all those who have dedicated their investigative skills to trying to solve the mystery that surrounds Jane Furlong."

Mr Benefield also paid tribute to the contributions of the media who have shown a keen interest in keeping Jane's story alive while Police investigated her death. The 0800 number - 0800 675 263 - will remain operational for some weeks.

Judith Furlong, Jane's mother, was informed of the impending wind down of Operation Darlia midway through last month when she expressed her appreciation of the Police efforts.

Following standard Police procedure, the Operation Darlia phase of the investigation will be summarised over the coming few months after which time it will be peer reviewed.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

IGIS: Report On Release Of NZSIS Information To Cameron Slater

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security, Cheryl Gwyn, published her report on the inquiry into the release of NZSIS information to Mr Cameron Slater at a press conference in Wellington today...

The inquiry found the NZSIS released incomplete, inaccurate and misleading information in response to Mr Slater’s request, and provided some of the same incorrect information to the Prime Minister and the Prime Minister’s Office.

“These errors resulted in misplaced criticism of the then Leader of the Opposition, Hon Phil Goff MP. Mr Goff is owed a formal apology by the Service,” said Ms Gwyn. More>>

 

Parliament Today:

"New Faces, Wise Heads": Andrew Little Announces New Labour Line Up

Labour Leader Andrew Little today announced a bold new caucus line up which brings forward new talent and draws on the party’s depth of experience. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Joint Statement: Establishment Of NZ-China Strategic Partnership

At the invitation of Governor-General Lt Gen The Rt Hon Sir Jerry Mateparae and Prime Minister The Rt Hon John Key of New Zealand, President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China made a state visit to New Zealand from 19 to 21 November 2014... More>>

ALSO:

Savings Targets: Health Procurement Plan Changes Direction

Next steps in implementing DHB shared services programme Health Minister Jonathan Coleman says the Government has agreed to explore a proposal put forward by DHBs to move implementation of the shared services programme to a DHB-owned vehicle. More>>

ALSO:

More on Health Policy:

Auckland Unification: 'No IT Cost Blowout' (Just More Expensive)

Following discussion of an update on Auckland Council’s Information Services Transformational Programme at today’s Finance and Performance Committee, council has released the report publicly. More>>

ALSO:

Other Expensive Things:

Gordon Campbell: On The SAS Role Against Islamic State, And Podemos

Only 25% of the US bombing runs are even managing to locate IS targets worth bombing. As the NYT explains at length, this underlines the need for better on-the-ground intelligence to direct the air campaign to where the bad guys have holed up... More>>

ALSO:

Public Service: Commission Calls For Answers On Handling Of CERA Harassment

EEO Commissioner Dr Jackie Blue is deeply concerned about the way in which the State Services Commission has handled sexual allegations made against CERA chief executive Roger Sutton this week and is calling for answers. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell:
On Andrew Little’s Victory

So Andrew Little has won the leadership – by the narrowest possible margin – from Grant Robertson, and has already been depicted by commentators as being simultaneously (a) the creature of the trade unions and (b) the most centrist of the four candidates, which would be an interesting trick to see someone try in a game of Twister. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news