Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search


Progress on Christchurch and Burwood hospitals

Progress on Christchurch and Burwood hospitals’ redevelopment

Progress on the Christchurch and Burwood hospitals’ redevelopment is full steam ahead – with the first major concrete pour down for Burwood’s new Back of House Building and enabling works for Christchurch set to start in September.

David Meates, Canterbury District Health Board chief executive, says redevelopment work has been all hands to the pump with a total of 700 m3 of concrete poured for the foundations of the new Back of House building in the centre of the Burwood hospital campus.

“This building is designed to house the kitchens; cleaners’ offices; bike stands; staff amenities such as showers and toilets; the supply and distribution centre; mail room and courier collection/drop off; clean and dirty loading bays; IT services; and plant rooms to support the rest of the new build,” Mr Meates says.

The structural design of the new building requires a raft foundation of concrete and steel to allow the load to be spread over a large area.

“The raft also reduces the effect of lateral spreading in the event of an earthquake. Contractors Leighs Cockram JV have had to weave together the reinforcing steel for the first concrete pour, a labour intensive and time consuming process.”

Mr Meates says the volume of building and reinforcing materials is huge.

“By the time Burwood’s three ward blocks and Back of House building are complete, contractors will have worked with more than 1800 tonnes of structural steel, 229 pre-cast concrete columns and approximately 15,000m3 of concrete,” he says.

“Aside from a reinforced concrete raft-type foundation, it has precast columns and steel roof trusses. The building’s importance means that it will be built to IL 3, making it 30 percent stronger than standard buildings.”

*The picture shows the large scale of the building.

Christchurch Hospital Redevelopment

Two community briefings held last week provided further details on the development of an Acute Services Building at Christchurch Hospital.

At the meetings Mr Meates talked about the makeup of the building and the important role it will play in meeting the projected needs of Canterbury’s growing and ageing population.

“By 2018, this new facility will be vital,” Mr Meates says.

“And to meet this deadline, enabling works for the project are planned to start in September this year.”

Mr Meates says the Burwood and Christchurch hospitals’ redevelopment is also essential in ensuring the recovery of Canterbury health facilities, following the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes.

Further updates will be provided for the public as work continues at both hospitals.


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The (Looming) Nurses’ Strike

It is (almost) possible to feel a bit sorry for the DHB negotiators engaged in the current nurses pay round. Come next Monday there’s every sign that nurses will resoundingly reject the pay offer the DHBs have put on the table, as being totally inadequate (a) as fair compensation for the crucial work that nurses do and (b) as a recruitment incentive for a workforce which is already under severe stress, and facing a demographic explosion in patients as the baby boomers lurch into old age. More>>


Dolphins In Danger: More measures to protect

Fisheries Minister Stuart Nash and Conservation Minister Eugenie Sage are accelerating work to improve protection of the nationally endangered Hector’s dolphin, after five were accidentally killed in a fishing net off Banks Peninsula. More>>


EQC Shakeup: Changes to EQC Act Announced

The Minister Responsible for the Earthquake Commission Megan Woods has today announced changes to the EQC scheme.“Cabinet has carefully considered the proposals regarding changes to the Earthquake Commission Act,” Megan Woods said. “The changes that we have agreed on will improve how the Act functions and enable the scheme to work more effectively for future natural disasters. More>>


MoneyHub: Air NZ Charging Up To 2X Australian Airlines

Passengers originating in New Zealand are revealed to be paying up to 100% more than Australian travellers for flights to North and South America as the airline operates a monopoly on key routesMore>>


Gordon Campbell: On The PM’s Indonesian Guest, And West Papua

As David Lange once said, it is almost impossible to get New Zealand to think about Indonesia, the huge nation sitting right on our doorstep.More>>


Out By 24,000: Treasury Child Poverty Estimate Wrong

The Treasury has revised the child-poverty projections it provided to the Government in December 2017. As outlined in the Treasury’s 17 January media release, the previous estimate was based on code that included a modelling error...More>>


Mentions Russia: NZ Joins Condemnation Of Nerve Agent Attack

Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters says the New Zealand Government has grave concerns over the use of a chemical nerve agent in the United Kingdom resulting in critically serious injuries to some of those exposed. More>>


IPCA (And Privacy Commission): Police's “Exit International” Checkpoint Was Illegal

The Independent Police Conduct Authority has found that Police were not justified in stopping vehicles at a vehicle checkpoint to identify individuals who had attended an “Exit International” meeting in Lower Hutt on 2 October 2016. More>>


NZDF Coverup: Defence Admits Raid Was In Area Described In Hit And Run

When the book Hit and Run was published in March last year, the Chief of Defence Force Tim Keating held a press conference claiming the SAS had been in a different place on that date... The Defence Force has finally admitted that the “three photographs in the book are of Tirgiran Village”. More>>





Featured InfoPages