Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Christchurch tram loop nears completion

26 June 2014

Christchurch tram loop nears completion

As part of Christchurch Council’s 2014/15 Annual Plan an additional $1.69 million will be included in the capital programme to enable completion of a second tramway loop along Oxford Terrace, down Cashel Mall, High and Colombo Streets to Cathedral Square.

Welcome Aboard managing director Michael Esposito welcomes the Council decision saying, “This is a major step forward for the recovery of the central city linking the various shopping precincts. It also gives locals and visitors a reason to rediscover the central city.”

Mr Esposito said there were many people working behind the scenes to get the approval through, “With their hard work it’s looking likely that we’ll have the extended loop to be in operation in time for the Cricket World Cup in February 2015.”

“We’ve seen great interest and demand from our inbound travel trade partners who are keen to promote what was a well loved experience for visitors,” said Mr Esposito.

Post earthquake changes saw Stage One - a new but shortened linear city route starting at the northern end of New Regent Street, through Cathedral Junction, across Cathedral Square and down to Canterbury Museum and back. This started in November 2013 and was offered at a reduced fare.

This November will see the completion of the original loop route extended through to Rolleston Avenue, Armagh Street and New Regent Street.

Funding towards the next stage will see the second loop further extended and trams pass along Oxford Terrace through the relocated Re:START mall, Cashel Street Mall to High and Colombo Streets looping around Cathedral Square. It’s a 45 minute trip through the rapidly changing CBD.

Christchurch and Canterbury Tourism chief executive Tim Hunter said, “This is fantastic news and a great example of the Council’s support of our visitor recovery strategy and the rebuilding of our tourism industry.”

“This news will also be warmly received by the international travel trade and a huge boost to our profile and visitor experience during the Cricket World Cup,” said Mr Hunter.

The Restaurant Tram and opportunity to dine on board a historic tram will also be back in operation from November.

From November prices will be $15 Adults and free for children 15 and under.

www.tram.co.nz

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

#SaveCampbellLive : Mediaworks Delivered 104,000 Petition Signatures At TV3's Newton HQ
#PonyTailGate #TailGate Full Coverage

Pukeahu Park : ANZAC 100th Anniversary Dawn Service In Pictures

Roughly 18,000 people gathered this morning at Pukeahu Memorial Park for the Anzac day centenary. Anticipating the large turnout, patrons arrived as early as 4.30. It was virtually impossible to get near the Memorial after 5am. By 6, the crowds on Taranaki Street had stretched as far back as the Z Petrol station.

The screens erected around the park displayed the live events to those who had turned up. The heat generated by the huge number of people caused many to take a turn. Medics and ambulances were on hand for the fainting crowd members. Only twenty minutes into the ceremony, one medic said they had already dealt with 15 to 20 spells. More>>

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

War: What’s To Commemorate?

Gordon Campbell in Werewolf: Is there anything that can be validly commemorated on this 100th anniversary of Gallipoli? Beyond, that is, a fleeting sense of empathy with the thousands of soldiers killed or wounded on April 25 1915 and in the months thereafter, until the whole thing was finally called off in December 1915. More>>

MORE IN WEREWOLF:

ALSO:

Peter Ellis Case: Minister Declines Request For Commission Of Inquiry

Justice Minister Amy Adams has declined a request from supporters of Peter Ellis for a Commission of Inquiry on the basis that an inquiry cannot be used to determine the liability of any person. More>>

Quakes: New Process For Red Zone Crown Offers

Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee has announced a process to give everyone a say on the Crown offers to owners of vacant, commercial/industrial and uninsured properties in the Residential Red Zone. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Battle Obama Is Waging Over The TPP

For the past two and a half years, this column has been arguing that the fate of the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) deal will hinge on whether US President Barack Obama can win Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) from Congress... Last week, the White House finally, finally unveiled a draft TPA Bill. More>>

ALSO:

Greens: Govt Breaks Free Doctors Visit Promise To Kids

Documents obtained by the Green Party show that the Government decided to fund only 90 percent of doctors’ visits for children suffering from an injury in an attempt trim the cost of the so-called “free” visits. More>>

ALSO:

Other Wars: Extension Of NZDF Commitment In Afghanistan

The New Zealand Defence Force’s commitment of mentors and support staff to the Afghan National Army Officer Academy in Afghanistan has been extended out to December 2016, Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

PM's Press Conference: Auckland Property Prices Increasing "Too Rapidly"

John Key accepted that Auckland property prices 'are going up too rapidly” in a press conference held today in Wellington, however he said that this is not anything new. More>>

ALSO:

Press Conference: ANZAC PMs Concerned About ISIL Bringing The War Home

Prime Minister Key and Prime Minister Abbott spoke of the bond formed between Australia and New Zealand in the “baptism of fire” of Gallipoli. Abbott stated that New Zealand and Australia’s values and interests are linked, and this is reflected in the joint operation in Iraq which will begin shortly. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news