Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Akaroa Museum receives earthquake recovery grant


Akaroa Museum receives earthquake recovery grant


Christchurch City Council's Akaroa Museum has received a special one-off grant of $500,000 from the Government to help with earthquake repair and strengthening work that will allow it to fully re-open next year.

The museum partially re-opened in July last year following temporary repair and strengthening work after its closure a year earlier when it was found to be below 34 per cent of New Building Standard. However, most of the museum's exhibition spaces remain closed, awaiting repair and strengthening, and most of the collection is still in storage.

In his letter to Museum Director Lynda Wallace, the Minister for Arts, Culture and Heritage Chris Finlayson says that although smaller museums such as Akaroa Museum are not usually eligible for the Regional Museums Policy grant round process, he had taken into account "the unique circumstances and responses needed to stimulate earthquake recovery in Canterbury".

Mayor Lianne Dalziel says she is delighted to receive the funding, which ensures the Council can fully re-open one of Akaroa's most popular tourist attractions.

"We're very grateful to the Government for this grant, which will help us to move forward with the repair and strengthening this building needs to ensure visitors to the museum can once again experience all it has to offer.

"Since the earthquakes, Akaroa has become the gateway to the region for many cruise ship visitors and the town is also a popular getaway for Canterbury residents. A fully re-opened museum will be a huge boost for the town."

Museum Director Lynda Wallace says repair and strengthening work will begin this year and it is hoped the museum will be fully open in time for the 2015/16 summer season. It will open with improved climate control systems and rejuvenated exhibitions.

"Since the museum was partially re-opened last year, we've made the most of the space we've got, particularly in the adjacent historic Court House which now contains a small theatre and new interpretation. However, much of the museum's collection - which includes photographs, family histories and objects from some well-known Peninsula families and tells the story of the town - has been in storage. We can't wait to be able to be able to share more of our collection with visitors again."

As part of its 2014/15 Annual Plan, the Council this week confirmed entry to the museum will now be free.

Mayor Dalziel says the Council recognised the $5 entry fee was a barrier to tourists and residents visiting the museum. It also recognised the visitor experience was impeded while the museum was partially closed.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Gaza And Burning The Israeli Flag

One of the selling points in New Zealand’s campaign for a temporary seat on the Security Council is that we have a pluckily independent voice to offer on international conflicts.

This image is not entirely self-delusional. When we did occupy a temporary UN Security Council seat in the 1990s, New Zealand was forthright about the need for the international community to actively respond to the Rwanda genocide. On April 14, 1994, New Zealand, Nigeria and the Czech Republic were the only nations to call for a forceful UN intervention to halt the killings. It was a proud moment in the diplomatic record of the Bolger government.

What then, is the current National government doing with respect to the slaughter in Gaza? More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Red Tape: Local Regulations Go Under Microscope

The Government says it is accepting nearly all of the recommendations the Productivity Commission has made on ways to improve local regulations. More>>

ALSO:

Spending Questions: Claudette Hauiti To Step Aside At Election

National Party President Peter Goodfellow confirms that he has received notification from List MP Claudette Hauiti that she plans to step aside at the 20 September election. More>>

ALSO:

EPA: Board Of Inquiry Rejects Basin Flyover By Majority Of 3 To 1

The independent Board of Inquiry delegated to decide on the Basin Bridge Proposal has, by a majority decision (3 to 1), cancelled the Transport Agency’s Notice of Requirement and declined its resource consent applications for the construction, operation and maintenance of a flyover on State Highway 1 in Wellington City... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Non-Apology To Tania Billingsley

The refusal by Prime Minister John Key to issue a personal apology to Tania Billingsley has been accompanied by an array of excuses... Yesterday though, Key’s choice of words indicated that an apology was the last thing on his mind. More>>

ALSO:

Conventions: Winston Peters On The Nation

Winston Peters opens door to standing in East Coast Bays electorate, says it's an "exciting point" and he's thinking about it. "I’ve had a whole lot of people writing to me and calling up and saying ‘why don’t you have a go in East Coast Bays’." More>>

ALSO:

Waitangi Tribunal: Report On The MV Rena

In its interim report, the Waitangi Tribunal has found that the Crown’s conduct in response to the grounding of the MV Rena on Otaiti (Astrolabe) reef breached the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi. More>>

ALSO:

Gaza: Wellington Protest For Palestine Calls For End To Bombing

Around 300 people gathered outside the Israeli Embassy in Wellington on Friday to protest Israel’s occupation of Palestine. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Failure To Prosecute The GCSB

So one hand of the state – the Independent Police Conduct Authority – has now washed the hands of its brother agencies, and declared that all hands are clean. Case closed. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news