Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


More than 200,000 young Aucklanders signed up to Travelwise

More than 200,000 young Aucklanders signed up to Travelwise


Young Aucklanders are getting the Travelwise message with more than 200,000 students now taking part in the programme.

Since last year’s awards, 75 new schools have joined Travelwise bringing the total number of participating schools in Auckland to 400. That equates to a 23 per cent increase since last year.

The success of the programme was celebrated last night at an awards ceremony at Eden Park where schools were presented with certificates by Auckland Mayor Len Brown.

Auckland Transport’s Travelwise programme is about encouraging schools and students to travel more actively, safely and sustainably to and from school. It aims to raise road safety awareness and to improve the overall health and wellbeing of the school community.

“Since last year’s celebrations Travelwise has gained even more momentum with the total number of students involved now sitting at a resounding 202,000,” says the Mayor.

“Travelwise is at the very heart of what we are trying to achieve in Auckland. With the number of car trips taking children to school doubling over the past 30 years, the result was traffic chaos, accidents and poor child health.
‘We’re starting to see that trend reverse thanks to the hard work of Auckland Transport and the strong commitment from Auckland’s schools.”
Schools north of the bridge came out on top last night with an impressive 31 gold awards. Schools in the South collected 11 gold awards while Central West schools took home five golds.

Gold is the highest award, reserved for schools that achieve a four per cent or more reduction in the number of car trips to school. It also recognises schools that make a significant difference to traffic congestion, road safety and the well-being of their students, communities and the environment.

Auckland Transport’s Community Transport Manager Matthew Rednall says about one third of all traffic at peak times is school related. “These schools are making a real contribution towards reducing school car travel. All of this positive work has provided benefits like daily exercise, improved safety and reduced congestion and pollution outside the school gates.”

“We applaud their work and know it has taken the combined efforts of school staff, students, parents, caregivers and their community to bring about their success,” says Mr Rednall.

School travel plans have helped:

Reduce car travel by taking 12,736 car trips off the road in the morning peak.
Save 2,596,000kms in car travel, about $20.35m a year on congestion, and about 150,000 litres of fuel
Reduce CO2 emissions by 735 tonnes each year.
Improve safety around Auckland schools – crashes involving pedestrians and cyclists aged 5-13 have reduced by 58% at Safe School Travel Plans.
To date, more than $132 million has been spent on safety infrastructure such as pedestrian crossings and cycle lanes around schools.
A total of 241 awards were presented last night including 13 special awards.


ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

The White House: Charting A New Course On Cuba

Today, the United States is taking historic steps to chart a new course in our relations with Cuba and to further engage and empower the Cuban people. We are separated by 90 miles of water, but brought together through the relationships between the two million Cubans and Americans of Cuban descent that live in the United States, and the 11 million Cubans who share similar hopes for a more positive future for Cuba. More>>

Julie Webb-Pullman: Cuban Five Are Now All Free
Cubans - and many others around the world - are jubilantly celebrating the return to Cuba on Wednesday of Gerardo Hernández, Ramón Labañino, and Antonio Guerrero, the final three members of the Cuban Five to be released from US prisons, in a prisoner swap for US spy Alan Gross. More>>

 

Parliament Adjourns:

Police: Phillip Smith Investigation Passport Charge

A 25 year-old man will appear in the Whanganui District Court today charged with the Passports Act offence of False Representations. The charges were laid on December 9 by the Auckland-based Phillip Smith investigation... More>>

Intelligence: Inspector-General Accepts Apology For Leak Of Report

The Inspector-General of Intelligence and Security, Cheryl Gwyn, has accepted an unreserved apology from Hon Phil Goff MP for disclosing some of the contents of her recent Report into the Release of Information by the NZSIS in July and August 2011 to media prior to its publication. The Inspector-General will not take the matter any further. More>>

ALSO:

Drink: Alcohol Advertising Report Released

The report of the Ministerial Forum on Alcohol Advertising and Sponsorship has been released today, with Ministers noting that further work will be required on the feasibility and impact of the proposals. More>>

ALSO:

Other Report:

Leaked Cabinet Papers: Treasury Calls For Health Cuts

Leaked Cabinet papers that show that Government has been advised to cut the health budget by around $200 million is ringing alarm bells throughout the nursing and midwifery community. More>>

ALSO:

Maori Party: Tribunal Report Confirms Iwi Ownership Of Lake Waikaremoana

“We are pleased for the claimants that eight years after the hearing began on Lake Waikaremoana they have some closure,” says Māori Party Co-leader Te Ururoa Flavell. “Most importantly, the report confirms freshwater is a taonga and identifies the ownership rights of Tūhoe, Ngāti Ruapani, Ngāti Kahungunu, and Ngāi Tamaterangi to the lake bed.” More>>

ALSO:

Climate Performance Report - Not Achieved: NZ Government Part Of Global Climate Problem

The New Zealand Government’s position on climate change is part of the global problem that we need to overcome if we are to avoid catastrophic climate change, the Green Party said. More>>

ALSO:

NSW Police Statement: Three Dead Following Martin Place Siege

About 2.10am (Tuesday 16 December), a confrontation occurred between police and a man who had taken a number of people hostage inside a café on Martin Place. Shots were fired during the confrontation. As a result, the 50-year-old man was pronounced dead after being taken to hospital. Another man, aged 34, and a woman, aged 38, were pronounced dead after being taken to hospital. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Sydney Siege (And DHB Budget Cuts)
Whenever the authorities bring a siege situation to an end, there will be criticism if – as has happened in Sydney – any hostages are seriously hurt, or killed... In the Sydney Morning Herald this morning, columnist Peter Hartcher raises a different point – that the initial public response had been noticeably different to the agitated reactions of politicians and the media. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Income Inequality, And Yo Ho Ho Christmas Songs

As 2014 grinds to a close, we probably didn’t need one more reminder of this government’s ability to stare reality in the face and declare black to be a very fine shade of white... Yet on Wednesday, there was Finance Minister Bill English trying to tell RNZ that the OECD was (a) wrong (b) using old data and (c) somehow anti-growth and in any case (d) New Zealand allegedly already had a strongly re-distributive tax system... More>>

Werewolf: Public Health - The Silent Crisis

Gordon Campbell: New Zealand’s public health system has been in crisis for so long that its failings – and deteriorating performance vis a vis other developed countries – now tend to be treated as its normal mode of being. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: House Adjourns For Summer

Parliament has risen for the summer break with the Adjournment Motion agreed just after 5pm on Wednesday. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news