Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Waiarohia Stream closed to vessels July 1-8

Waiarohia Stream closed to vessels July 1-8


This week the swivelling portion of Kotuitui Whiti, the bridge across the Waiarohia Stream, will be installed.

The waterway will be closed from tomorrow morning, Tuesday 1 July 2014, until Tuesday 8 July 2014.

This is a major stage in the development of the bridge that will complete the 4.2km looped walkway from the Town Basin, across Te Matau a Pohe to Pohe Island and back, and follows the selection of names for the bridge and walk/cycle way this month.

“The final stages of the build are now under way and we will be installing the opening section of Kotuitui Whiti this week,” said Group Manager District Living Paul Dell.

“For safety and to allow the opening section to be put in place as quickly as possible, the Waiarohia Stream will be closed for all marine traffic past the bridge site from Tuesday 1 July through to Tuesday 8 July."

“Once the middle section is in and tested the final touches will be put in place in advance of the opening. We hope members of the public will take the opportunity to come out and take a walk, or ride their bikes, around the loop and make the most of this wonderful area,” Mr Dell said.

Mr Dell said the public had put forward 35 names for the bridge and 25 for the looped walkway/shared space.

“The walkway will be called the Hatea Loop giving reference to the Hatea River which flows through the middle of the loop, and because it is used for multiple activities we dropped “walkway”.

“It will also be referred to using the Maori phrase "Huarahi o te Whai" which means "pathway of opportunity,” he said.

“A section of the Hatea Loop on Riverside Drive will be named "Ray Roberts Promenade" after the late Ray Roberts, who passed away earlier this year. The bridge itself will be called Kotuitui Whiti, a name that means ‘to interweave and connect with the land’, Mr Dell said.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Transport: Auckland Looks To Light Rail

The Board of Auckland Transport has called for an investigation into a light rail network, which could relieve traffic congestion on some of the region’s busiest roads.

This stems from work in 2012 (the City Centre Future Access study) which responded to a government request to develop a robust and achievable solution for access to the CBD.

That showed that the City Rail Link, together with surface bus improvement, provided the best regional solution. However, it also identified that the city centre is already facing serious congestion across all major road entry points which, if not addressed now, will worsen. More>>

 

RMA: Smith's Claims Don't Match Evidence - Greens

The Motu group’s research into the impacts of planning rules looked at the costs related to housing development but not the benefits of environmental protections and does not recommend significant changes to the RMA to reduce the cost of new house builds. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Similarities Between John Key And David Cameron

For years now, David Cameron has been the closest available thing to a mentor/analogue to our Prime Minister, such that Key watchers could be interested in an analysis of Cameron that appeared in the British press over the Christmas break. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Ian Fletcher Resignation & GCSB’s New Role

It may well be that after being shoulder-tapped in Queensland for the GCSB job, three years of living in Wellington has been enough for Fletcher and his family, given that the pending review of the GCSB would have required an even longer commitment from him. Three years of Wellington’s weather is enough for anyone... More>>

ALSO:

Ian Apperley: $10m Or $100m For New Wellington Council IT System?

I feel a Tui Billboard coming on. I commented the other day that it looked like the Council’s Ninth big project was a potential $100 million plus... The Mayor has responded: “I am reassured by the Chief Executive and by Anthony Wilson that the proposed budget is in the region of $10 million.” More>>

ALSO:

Southern Ocean:
Navy Intercepts Illegal Fishing Vessels

Foreign Minister Murray McCully today put illegal fishing vessels operating in the Southern Ocean on notice and vowed to take action against their owners. “As part of a multi-agency operation, the HMNZS WELLINGTON has intercepted two vessels claiming to be flagged to Equatorial Guinea, fishing illegally in the Southern Ocean.” Mr McCully says. More>>

ALSO:

Kiwi Pride: New Zealand Takes UN Security Council Seat

“New Zealand’s term on the Security Council will place us at the heart of international decision-making for the next two years,” Mr McCully says. More>>

Greens: CAA Airport Door Report Conflicts With Brownlee’s Claims

The heavily redacted report into the incident shows conflicting versions of events as told by Gerry Brownlee and the Christchurch airport security staff. The report disputes Brownlee’s claim that he was allowed through, and states that he instead pushed his way through. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news