Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Marine protection process begins in Otago

Marine protection process begins in Otago


The planning forum for marine protected areas on the south east coast of the South Island has met for the first time.

In a two day meeting at Otākou marae (30 June - 1 July), members of the South-East Marine Protection Planning Forum/Roopu Manaaki ki te Toka began planning for a major community and business consultation process on a suite of management measures to protect key sites, habitats and species from Timaru down to Waipapa Point in Southland.

Forum chair Maree Baker-Galloway hopes as many people as possible will get involved. The forum wants to understand the history of the marine environment, what has changed, what people value about it, what the threats are to those values and what communities want to see happen to their marine environments in the future.

“The forum will have a comprehensive programme of community engagement because we want our final recommendations to have the fullest possible support from people who use and love our coastal waters.”

“We urge local people to keep an eye out for meetings and events and come along over the next 6 - 12 months. We’ll also have a web and social media presence. We want to give everyone who has something to say the opportunity to do so.”

The forum has been created with support from the Department of Conservation and the Ministry for Primary Industries, and its membership represents a broad spread of interested parties, including iwi, community groups, and fisheries, science, tourism and environmental interests.

The forum’s work should take about two years, and will include an initial listening and information gathering phase followed by a formal submission process. The forum will then finalise its recommendations on management measures to protect key sites, habitats and species for the Ministers of Conservation and Primary Industries to consider.

–Ends–

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

False Electoral Return: John Banks Sentenced To Community Work, Curfew

“The conviction of John Banks today is another sad chapter for John Banks and the ACT Party”, says Labour candidate for Epsom Michael Wood.

“Mr Banks was found guilty of electoral fraud in June. Regardless of what sentence is handed down, his reputation is in tatters. Sentencing is a matter for the court, and publicly deriding him further brings little benefit.”

“With the conviction confirmed, it is time for the ACT Party to step up to the mark and apologise to the people of Epsom. Mr Banks has suffered the consequences of his actions, but so far the ACT Party has gotten off scott-free” More>>

 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On The Rise Of ISIS And Labour

While global attention got distracted by the fate of MH17 and the atrocities in Gaza, the world’s other mega ‘bad news’ story – the rise of ISIS-led fundamentalism in Iraq – has reached a tipping point. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild: Christchurch City Council Releases Milestone Report

The Cameron Partners report says the Council may need to find an additional $783 million to $883 million by 2019... Options Cameron Partners proposed include increasing rates, borrowing more, maximising insurance payments, and freeing up capital from its commercial assets. More>>

ALSO:

Parliament Today: Parliament Adjourns

The 50th Parliament has adjourned for the final time. After the completion of the adjournment debate, MPs left for the campaign trail with Parliament to be dissolved on August 14 ahead of the September 20 election. More>>

ALSO:

Novopayout: Government-Owned Company To Take Over School Payroll

After lengthy negotiations, the Ministry of Education and the existing school payroll provider, Talent2, have settled both on the amounts payable by Talent2 towards the costs of remediating the Novopay service and a new operating model for the school payroll system. More>>

ALSO:

Employment: Labour Will Raise Minimum Wage, Restore Work Rights

A Labour government will raise the minimum wage $2 an hour to $16.25 and restore work rights to ensure the benefits of economic growth are shared fairly by all New Zealanders, Labour Leader David Cunliffe says. More>>

ALSO:

Police: Crewe File Review Released

No new evidence has come to light implicating any specific person as being responsible for the murders of Jeannette and Harvey Crewe... The review identifies there is a distinct possibility that Exhibit 350 (the brass .22 cartridge case) may be fabricated evidence, and that if this is the case, that a member of Police would have been responsible. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf Issue #49: Gordon Campbell Interviews Laila Harre

For 25 years, Labour and National have been in virtual agreement about the basics of economic policy, and differed mainly on how to go about managing its social consequences. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news