Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Record Number of Resource Consents Received

Record Number of Resource Consents Received

Dunedin (Friday, 4 July 2014) – The Dunedin City Council received a record number of resource consent applications during June, with 174 received over the month.

DCC Resource Consents Manager Alan Worthington says the previous record for consent applications received in a calendar month was 165 in June 2008. Of the applications received last month, 112 were received in the last six days of June and the last day alone accounted for 53. For the past 16 years the monthly number of consents has averaged 87.

Mr Worthington says an increase in applications had been anticipated ahead of the DCC’s new Development Contributions Policy being introduced on 1 July, but the level of that increase was greater than expected. The new policy resets the infrastructure charges incurred by new developments within the DCC’s jurisdiction.

“The previous 2008 record was set when the economy was really humming,” says Mr Worthington. “But, on this occasion, I don’t believe we will suddenly see a dramatic increase in building projects around the city.

“When people apply for a resource consent they have five years before they have to give effect to their consent. With a subdivision they have a further three years to comply with their conditions. Many of those who made their consent applications last month will have been forward planning, anticipating an increase in development contributions.”

Mr Worthington notes that the last significant rise in the number of resource consent applications occurred in 2011 when the Development Contributions Policy was initially to be introduced, but it was put on hold for a review.

The projects described in June’s applications are typical and are predominantly residential, ranging from dividing individual sections to larger subdivision projects.

The DCC has an experienced planning team and the increased workload will be managed through a range of options, including some staff focusing solely on consent processing and the use of consultants if necessary.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Gordon Campbell: On The Ombudsman’s Verdict On Paula Rebstock And Ian Rennie

Unfortunately, the brave and damning report by Ombudsman Ron Paterson on the “flawed” and “unfair” inquiry conducted by Dame Paula Rebstock into events at MFAT pulls back the veil on a far wider issue. More>>

ALSO:

Charities' Report: Stressed Families - Overstretched Services

“Like so many of the whānau and families they serve social service organisations are under huge financial stress. The support demanded from desperate people in communities is far outreaching the resources available.” More>>

ALSO:

Detention: Wellingtonians Protest Treatment Of Refugees

Peace Action Wellington (PAW) and around 50 Wellingtonians blockaded the Australian High Commission, creating a symbolic detention centre to protest the Australian Government's policy of mandatory offshore detention for refugees and asylum seekers. More>>

ALSO:

Diver's Alarums: Breach Means Training Provider Must Repay $1.47 Million

The New Zealand School of Outdoor Studies is to repay $1.47 million (GST-exclusive) to the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC) following an investigation which showed that some student enrolments between 2009 -2014 could not be validated and that courses were under-delivered against their agreement with the TEC. More>>

ALSO:

Education: Government Plans Suggest Bulk Funding Return

Plans by the Government to return to bulk funding are likely to see increased class sizes and schools most in need missing out on much-needed resources, Labour’s Acting Education spokesperson Grant Robertson says. More>>

ALSO:

Interim Report: Auckland Looks Long Term To Pay-Per-Km Road Pricing

Aucklanders can expect to be paying variable rates per kilometre to travel on the city's most congested roads under an emerging transport strategy being formulated by the government and the Auckland Council. More>>

ALSO:

Despite Promises: Government Extends Iraq Deployment

Cabinet has agreed to extend New Zealand’s contribution to the joint New Zealand-Australia mission to train Iraqi Security Forces until November 2018. More>>

ALSO:

On The 'Terrorism' Card:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news