Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Power fault cause narrowed down


Power fault cause narrowed down

The power fault that resulted in the loss of power to north Christchurch customers on Wednesday night last week has been narrowed down to likely windblown debris hitting key equipment in Orion's Papanui substation. The outage, which started at around 9.30pm, initially affected approximately 30,000 customers. 18,000 customers remained without power for three and a half hours.

Orion CEO Rob Jamieson says "since Wednesday evening we've undertaken extensive multiple investigations to try to determine the cause of the network failure. Specialist teams have meticulously examined 18km of high voltage lines running between Papanui to Islington, and other in-house experts have thoroughly inspected our Papanui and Islington substations. No damage has been found. By eliminating line and substation problems, we have been able to conclude that the fault was most likely caused by a small piece of material being blown into specialised equipment. The lines are now back in operation."

"Debris falling at a particular spot on our high voltage equipment, meant that power supply was lost to not one, but both of our lines to the area. As the object would have exploded on impact, meaning no trace of it remained after the event, we have had to methodically work through a process of elimination prior to being able conclude this was the cause of the failure."

"While definitely a regrettable incident and we apologise for the inconvenience it may have caused some of our customers, we are happy that our emergency procedures worked well on the night and we were able to restore power within 3 and a half hours in wet, dark and windy conditions. The incident will also hopefully serve as a reminder for people to always be prepared for an electricity outage or emergency event."

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Teina Pora Wins Appeal: Gordon Campbell On The Privy Council Decision

The quashing of the convictions of Teina Pora for the rape and murder of Susan Burdett in 1992 has shone a spotlight once again on a major gap in the New Zealand justice system.

To all intents and purposes, access by New Zealanders to the Privy Council has now been closed. Yet the number of times in recent years when the Privy Council has quashed the findings of New Zealand courts has demonstrated that we are regularly
(a) jailing the wrong person or
(b) arriving at guilty verdicts on grounds sufficiently flawed as to raise serious doubts that a miscarriage of justice has occurred. More>>

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Urgent Bill Planned: MP Pay Rises To Match Public Service

Prime Minister John Key today announced an overhaul of the Remuneration Authority Act, tying MP salaries to those of the wider public sector, which will be passed under urgency. More>>

ALSO:

PM's Press Conference: MP Pay Rises, Solid Energy, Iraq

Prime Minister John Key answered questions in his Post-Cabinet press conference about the Iraq deployment, Solid Energy and National’s decision to overhaul the Remuneration Authority Act. More>>

ALSO:

Worksafe: MSD Charged Over Work And Income Ashburton Shooting

WorkSafe NZ has laid one charge against the Ministry of Social Development (MSD) in relation to the shooting at the MSD Ashburton office on 1 September 2014 in which two Work and Income staff were killed and another was injured. More>>

ALSO:

Iraq: Ex-Hostage Says Government Not Putting NZers, Iraqis First

Harmeet Singh Sooden is travelling to Iraq in the coming weeks to work with Christian Peacemaker Teams (CPT) on a short-term assignment. More>>

ALSO:

Joint Statement: Australia-New Zealand Leaders’ Meeting

Prime Minister Key warmly welcomed Prime Minister Abbott and Mrs Abbott to New Zealand. The visit has enabled wide-ranging and substantive discussion that has underlined the strength, value, diversity and warmth of our trans-Tasman relationship. More>>

ALSO:

Press Conference: Peters To Stand In Northland By-Election

New Zealand First Leader Winston Peters has announced his intention to stand in the Northland by-election, citing his own links to the electorate and ongoing neglect of the region by central government. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Wage Hike For MPs (and Paul Robeson)

Hard to tell what is more infuriating. Is it the 5.3% increase on the already bloated salaries of MPs, or their pantomime of outrage at being gifted with such a wonderful back-dated bonanza? More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news