Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Draft public transport plan out for consultation

Draft public transport plan out for consultation

Otago people are invited to have their say on proposed major improvements to the region’s public transport network.

The proposals are outlined in ORC’s draft Regional Public Transport Plan, which councillors have approved for public release. The 2014 plan, when adopted, will take effect from next year.

ORC chairman Stephen Woodhead said the draft plan provides the framework for managing public transport services in Otago, and sets out goals and priorities for developing public transport services and infrastructure.

The key aspects relate to passenger transport networks in Dunedin. No significant changes are proposed for Wakatipu Basin where bus services are operating without subsidy from council.

Cr Woodhead said the draft plan represents an important shift in the council’s approach to public transport services particularly regarding the Dunedin network.

“Historically council provided bus services targeting coverage of the city as the way to grow patronage and improve services. The new approach is in response to public demand for simplified, more direct routes with regular frequencies,” he said.

The key changes proposed for the Dunedin network include:

· A new route structure featuring simple, direct routes with no variations and more regular frequencies, enabling users to reach their destination sooner

· The development of a central city hub where users can easily transfer from one bus to another without an additional cost for that fare zone

· Pairing of routes so that users do not have to change buses when travelling from one quarter of the city to another

· Reduction of the number of fare zones from seven to three.

· ORC withdrawal from providing contracted school bus services. The proposed new network and ticketing system will enable students to access their chosen school without having to use a separate school bus system.

· The existing Palmerston, Waikouaiti, Karitane, and Waitati services will become part of the Dunedin network

· Wingatui, which has for a long time had very low patronage, will no longer be served.

· The plan identifies issues around the relationship between roading design and bus service provision in Queenstown that need to be addressed through inter-agency management.

Cr Woodhead said the plan’s city-wide approach to public transport envisages that bus routes will use major roads, not small residential streets.

“Because bus routes will be as direct as possible, there will be reduced travel times for many services. Bus timetables will also be simpler and easier to follow as a result of the proposed changes, to make services generally more regular and frequent.”

Submissions on the draft plan open on July 21 and close on August 22.

ORC is holding public information sessions on the proposed Dunedin changes as follows:

Meridian Mall: Saturday, July 26 11am to 2pm.

Pak ’n’ Save South Dunedin: Tuesday, July 29, 11am-2pm.

Mosgiel Library: Friday August 1, 3pm-5pm.

“Public transport is used by several thousand people in Dunedin. We therefore look forward to members of the public getting involved in the consultation process to give us their opinions about the ideas and options contained in the plan,” Cr Woodhead said.

The plan enables ORC to seek support from the Government to subsidise services and contract operators to provide them.

It also indicates the services anticipated in the region provided by taxis, shuttles, private hire vehicles and buses. This includes the taxi-based Total Mobility Scheme through which ORC helps those who qualify through disability and are unable to use public transport.

Cr Woodhead said the preparation of the plan had been a collaborative effort involving ORC working with:

· New Zealand Transport Agency
· Dunedin City Council
· Queenstown Lakes District Council
· Bus operators in Dunedin and Queenstown
· Groups representing the transport disadvantaged.

ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Gordon Campbell: The PM’s Hair-Pulling Power Trip

There have been striking differences between (a) the account of the waitress involved in the hair-pulling incidents, and (b) the account being given by Prime Minister John Key. The version by the waitress is available here and is recommended to anyone yet to read it. By her account, there were multiple instances of hair-pulling and these persisted and persisted long after she had made her annoyance clear to Key – who had also been advised by his wife, and by other café staff that the behavior was evidently not being welcomed. More>>

ALSO:

War: What’s To Commemorate?

Gordon Campbell in Werewolf: Is there anything that can be validly commemorated on this 100th anniversary of Gallipoli? Beyond, that is, a fleeting sense of empathy with the thousands of soldiers killed or wounded on April 25 1915 and in the months thereafter, until the whole thing was finally called off in December 1915. More>>

MORE IN WEREWOLF:

ALSO:

Peter Ellis Case: Minister Declines Request For Commission Of Inquiry

Justice Minister Amy Adams has declined a request from supporters of Peter Ellis for a Commission of Inquiry on the basis that an inquiry cannot be used to determine the liability of any person. More>>

Quakes: New Process For Red Zone Crown Offers

Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee has announced a process to give everyone a say on the Crown offers to owners of vacant, commercial/industrial and uninsured properties in the Residential Red Zone. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Battle Obama Is Waging Over The TPP

For the past two and a half years, this column has been arguing that the fate of the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP) deal will hinge on whether US President Barack Obama can win Trade Promotion Authority (TPA) from Congress... Last week, the White House finally, finally unveiled a draft TPA Bill. More>>

ALSO:

Greens: Govt Breaks Free Doctors Visit Promise To Kids

Documents obtained by the Green Party show that the Government decided to fund only 90 percent of doctors’ visits for children suffering from an injury in an attempt trim the cost of the so-called “free” visits. More>>

ALSO:

Other Wars: Extension Of NZDF Commitment In Afghanistan

The New Zealand Defence Force’s commitment of mentors and support staff to the Afghan National Army Officer Academy in Afghanistan has been extended out to December 2016, Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

PM's Press Conference: Auckland Property Prices Increasing "Too Rapidly"

John Key accepted that Auckland property prices 'are going up too rapidly” in a press conference held today in Wellington, however he said that this is not anything new. More>>

ALSO:

Press Conference: ANZAC PMs Concerned About ISIL Bringing The War Home

Prime Minister Key and Prime Minister Abbott spoke of the bond formed between Australia and New Zealand in the “baptism of fire” of Gallipoli. Abbott stated that New Zealand and Australia’s values and interests are linked, and this is reflected in the joint operation in Iraq which will begin shortly. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news