Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Draft New Brighton Centre Master Plan proceeds to next stage


Thursday 31 July 2014

Draft New Brighton Centre Master Plan proceeds to next stage


The Draft New Brighton Master Plan is one step closer to final sign-off by the Council after today’s decision that hearings will not be necessary for submissions received from the public consultation.

The Council’s decision supports the recommendation of the Burwood/Pegasus Community Board not to hold hearings.

The Community Board’s recommendation was based on its satisfaction with community involvement in the master planning process so far, which includes multiple community workshops, public consultation on the Draft Plan, and recommendations made by the New Brighton Community Advisory Group (CAG).

The CAG were established by the Community Board earlier this year, to identify possible small scale initiatives for revitalising the commercial centre.

Community Board and CAG Chairperson Andrea Cummings says, “The invaluable feedback provided by the CAG, community leaders and the wider public on the Draft Master Plan to date has been used to identify amendments to the Plan that will create positive outcomes for New Brighton and will help build investor and community confidence in the commercial centre.”

Submissions showed strong community support for the overall direction of the plan. In all, 88 per cent of the 317 submissions were supportive of the Plan’s direction.

“This is a very encouraging result and public feedback, combined with the recommendations of the CAG and proposed amendments identified by staff, have provided a clear direction for finalising the Plan and ensuring it reflects the aspirations of the New Brighton community,” says Andrea Cummings.

Today’s decision enables swift amendments to be made to the Plan, which will in turn speed up the process to get the Plan finalised and brought back to the Council for its final sign-off. This means it will be delivered in time for consideration in the Council’s Long Term Plan.


– ends –


• For more information about the Draft Master Plan or the CAG see www.ccc.govt.nz/suburbancentres.
• Today’s Council report is here

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

No Voda/Sky: Commission Declines Clearance For Merger

The Commerce Commission has declined to grant clearance for the proposed merger of Sky Network Television and Vodafone New Zealand.

The Commission’s assessment focused on the impact of the proposed merger on competition in both the broadband and mobile telecommunications markets. To grant clearance, the Commission would need to be satisfied that the proposed merger would not be likely to substantially lessen competition in any market in New Zealand. More>>

 

Mayor: 750 New Social And Affordable Homes For Wellington

The next stage of Wellington’s Housing Upgrade Programme will see at least 750 new units of social and affordable housing built over the next decade, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>

ALSO:

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial. More>>

ALSO:


November Quakes:

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:


Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news