Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Coromandel settlement cordoned off after armed incident

Coromandel settlement cordoned off after armed incident

Monday, 4 August 2014 - 5:17pm

Waikato

A section of the small Coromandel settlement of Coroglen remains cordoned off late this afternoon after an alleged firearms related incident saw armed Police flown into the area

Senior Sergeant Rupert Friend of the Waikato District Command Centre said members of the Armed Offenders arrived by helicopter from Hamilton after calls to emergency services about 3.10pm.

"We're currently interviewing affected parties to establish exactly what has occurred but it appears two men have gone to a Tapu Rd address near the local tavern and threatened the occupants with firearms.

"There are reports that shots have been fired and we're working to confirm if this is the case. As is the case in such situations the area surrounding the address where the incident took place was cordoned off by our response staff to await the arrival of Armed Offenders Squad members."

Mr Friend said a short time later two males who had been at the property approached a Police cordon and were apprehended.

"The matter was resolved without further incident and investigators are currently speaking with the two men while other officers conduct a search of the property.

"We're grateful the issue has been resolved without further incident and that no-one was harmed. We expect to have a clearer picture of exactly what has occurred and what, if any, charges may be laid overnight."

End


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Tomorrow’s Speeches By John Key And
Andrew Little

The Key government has already kicked off the political year on a stridently ideological note, with Environment Minister Nick Smith choosing to lay all manner of sins at the door of the Resource Management Act.

Tomorrow, the government will wheeling out its best salesman – Prime Minister John Key – to sell its plans for state housing, which happens to be another of the government’s most contentious, most ideologically-driven policy packages. Presumably, Key will be trying not to double down on the rhetoric, and thereby leave room for Labour leader Andrew Little to sound like the centrist voice of reason.

Key will have his work cut out, though. More>>

 

Transport: Auckland Looks To Light Rail

The Board of Auckland Transport has called for an investigation into a light rail network, which could relieve traffic congestion on some of the region’s busiest roads. This stems from work in 2012 (the City Centre Future Access study) which responded to a government request to develop a robust and achievable solution for access to the CBD. More>>

ALSO:

RMA: Smith's Claims Don't Match Evidence - Greens

The Motu group’s research into the impacts of planning rules looked at the costs related to housing development but not the benefits of environmental protections and does not recommend significant changes to the RMA to reduce the cost of new house builds. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Similarities Between John Key And David Cameron

For years now, David Cameron has been the closest available thing to a mentor/analogue to our Prime Minister, such that Key watchers could be interested in an analysis of Cameron that appeared in the British press over the Christmas break. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On Ian Fletcher Resignation & GCSB’s New Role

It may well be that after being shoulder-tapped in Queensland for the GCSB job, three years of living in Wellington has been enough for Fletcher and his family, given that the pending review of the GCSB would have required an even longer commitment from him. Three years of Wellington’s weather is enough for anyone... More>>

ALSO:

Ian Apperley: $10m Or $100m For New Wellington Council IT System?

I feel a Tui Billboard coming on. I commented the other day that it looked like the Council’s Ninth big project was a potential $100 million plus... The Mayor has responded: “I am reassured by the Chief Executive and by Anthony Wilson that the proposed budget is in the region of $10 million.” More>>

ALSO:

Southern Ocean:
Navy Intercepts Illegal Fishing Vessels

Foreign Minister Murray McCully today put illegal fishing vessels operating in the Southern Ocean on notice and vowed to take action against their owners. “As part of a multi-agency operation, the HMNZS WELLINGTON has intercepted two vessels claiming to be flagged to Equatorial Guinea, fishing illegally in the Southern Ocean.” Mr McCully says. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news