Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Videos aim to keep boaties safe over bars

Videos aim to keep boaties safe over bars

6 August 2014

Bay of Plenty Regional Council and Waikato Regional Council have joined forces to make the riskiest of navigation actions safer for boaties.

Crossing a bar is one of the riskiest navigation actions for even the most experienced boatie, and the two Regional Councils have produced five films showing local bars and how to cross them safely.

ACC, Maritime NZ and Coastguard provided funding to produce the films, which walk boaties through key safety steps to ensure a safer bar crossing. The films include Bowentown, Kaituna and Maketu bars in the Bay of Plenty and Raglan and Tairua bars in the Waikato region. Making the films cost about $70,000.

Bay of Plenty regional Harbour Master Peter Buell said that because of the risks involved in bar crossings, the two Regional Councils were keen to get as much information as possible to boaties, especially before the summer boating season began.

“We want to teach people to make these crossings safely and the films will help people improve their boating behaviour in these dangerous situations. The films make it clear that there are three types of bar crossings – dangerous, very dangerous and extremely dangerous.”

Boaties are advised to check the weather within 12 hours of their trip, check the tide, always avoiding a low or ebb tide, talk to locals about the bar conditions and contact Coastguard before and after making the crossing.

Everyone needs to wear a lifejacket, and loose items including anchors need to be tied down.

“As always, if in doubt don’t go out,” Mr Buell said.

The new videos are on Bay of Plenty Regional Council’s website atwww.boprc.govt.nz/barcrossingvideos

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Royals: The Prince Of Wales And Duchess Of Cornwall To Visit

Prime Minister John Key welcomes today’s announcement that the Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall will visit New Zealand in November. This will be the second joint visit for Their Royal Highnesses to New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Tracey Martin Replaced: Ron Mark Is New New Zealand First Deputy Leader

Clayton Mitchell was the successful candidate for the Associate Whip position. Winston Peters was re-elected as Leader by the Caucus. Ron Mark was elected as the Deputy Leader with effect from 10am, Friday, 3rd July. More>>

ALSO:

Rebuild Rebrand: "Regenerate Christchurch" To Replace CERA

The regeneration of Christchurch will be the city’s focus for the next five years as local leadership progressively takes control of the rebuild, Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Minister Gerry Brownlee says. More>>

ALSO:

Nauru: Scholars Urge Minister To Act On Deteriorating Democracy

“Since the 2013 election in Nauru, there has been a series of disturbing developments on the islands that indicate a severe deterioration in the state of its parliamentary democracy and in the rule of law,” say the scholars. More>>

ALSO:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news