Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Bay of Plenty Regional Council: Resource Consent Numbers

Bay of Plenty Regional Council Releases Resource Consent Numbers

Friday 8 August 2014

The Chairman of the Bay of Plenty Regional Council, Douglas Leeder, announced today that the Council had received in excess of 150 submissions from the public on the Application made by the Astrolabe Community Trust to leave the remains of the MV Rena wreck in situ on Otaiti (Astrolabe Reef). Submissions closed today at 5 pm and the Council said it would make all submissions public once each of them had been checked.

“We hope to have all submissions received loaded ontowww.renaresourceconsent.org.nz by Monday of next week,” Mr Leeder said.

The Council also released its own submission which had been lodged by 5 pm today.

“It is likely that the Applicants intend to seek a direct referral to the Environment Court and they have until Friday 15 August to request that referral. Our submission preserves our rights to be an active participant should the Application be referred. That way we can also advocate on behalf of our residents, separately from our statutory responsibility to prepare our technical report advising the Court,” Mr Leeder said.

In its submission the Council has focused on seeking stringent consent conditions should the consent be eventually granted by the Consenting Authority, but has not taken a stand in favour of or against the Application for Resource Consent.

“We want to ensure that any consent conditions imposed are robust and that we carry out our statutory obligations under the Local Government Act 2002 and the Maritime Transport Act 1994.”

Mr Leeder also noted that the ongoing programme of work to clean up the debris field would take a considerable period of time, regardless of the outcome of and time taken by the consenting process.

“This work will continue as we move to the next stage of the resource consent process, which is the compilation and summary of the submissions received. If the Application becomes a matter for the Environment Court, then the role of our Council as regulatory authority is to be an adviser to that Court.”

Mr Leeder said that following any Application received to refer to the Environment Court, the Council would have 15 days to consider the referral and a further 20 days to get its technical report finalised.

“This is a lengthy process but it is necessary to ensure that all submissions receive careful consideration and attention, “ he said.

ENDS

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Foreign Affairs: NZ Begins Presidency Of UN Security Council

Prime Minister John Key has welcomed the start of New Zealand’s month-long Presidency of the United Nations Security Council in New York. More>>

ALSO:


Labour: Cash For Charter Schools, Mould For State Schools

“Recently released financial statements show the Whangarei charter school He Puna Marama received $3.9 million in government funding to the end of last year. Yet their audited accounts show they only spent $1.4 million on education, leaving almost $2.5 million over two years unaccounted for." More>>

ALSO:

Kiwirail Plans Shift From Electric: National Urged Not To Take Backwards Step

The National Government shouldn’t drag New Zealand backwards by replacing its climate friendly electric trains with carbon-polluting diesel trains, the Green Party said today. More>>

ALSO:

Capital Connection:

Harmful Digital Communication Bill Passes: Focus Must Be On Education

InternetNZ acknowledges the passage of the Harmful Digital Communications Bill into law this afternoon, and says that the sooner the education efforts at the heart of the legislation start, the better... More>>

ALSO:

3-Year Transport Plan: No Plans On Six Northland-Election Bridges

The Transport Authority’s decision to fund only four of the 10 bridges promised in National’s shameless Northland by-election bribe is a huge embarrassment for Transport Minister Simon Bridges, Labour’s Transport spokesperson Phil Twyford says. More>>

ALSO:

Gaza Blockade: Māori TV Crew Returning Safely From Israel

A Māori Television crew will be flown back from Israel after their boat was detained by the Israeli Navy while attempting to break the Gaza blockade. More>>

ALSO:

Family Violence: Increasing Reporting But Fewer Resolutions

“We are aware the Police have embarked on a significant programme of change in how they respond to family violence. The data suggests that adequate resourcing including investing in staff training, support and culture change will be required for this to be effective.” More>>

ALSO:

Health: NZ Children Still Suffer Rickets From Lack Of Vitamin D

Vitamin D deficiency continues to cause rickets in young New Zealanders, new University of Otago research has found. The researchers say that their finding suggests that at-risk mothers and children should be better targeted for Vitamin D supplementation. More>>

Also GPs, Housing, Milk: PM Press Conference On The UN Security Council

In a press conference today the Prime Minister discussed the upcoming appointment of New Zealand to chair the UN Security Council. He said they would put pressure Asad in Syria and attempt to “jump start” negotiations between Israel and Palestine. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news