Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Robust ideas sought for old NRC building

News Release

12 August 2014

Robust ideas sought for old NRC building

A strict list of criteria has been set for judging proposals for the future of the former Harbour Board/NRC building at the Town Basin, and the public has two months to put forward ideas.

“We are looking for robust, creative and realistic proposals for the future of this building from people who have something serious to offer,” said Councillor Phil Halse, Chairman of Council's 20/20 Inner City Revitalisation Committee.

“We will provide anyone interested with a comprehensive pack of information about the building, the site, the vision for the Town Basin area, the planning considerations, history and vision for the future. There is a lot of detail to consider and we expect some very well thought-out proposals to be forthcoming.”
Councillor Halse said the proposals would be considered by the 20/20 Committee and at Council workshops. Preferred options will be put to full Council later in the year.

“This is an opportunity to get back to the roots of the vision for the Town Basin developed during our 20/20: Living the Vision consultation with the public in 2007. That was the start of a plan devised to revitalise the inner city over the next 13 years or so.

“We have stuck to that plan and made brilliant progress, but there is no doubt that debate over the Hundertwasser issue has pulled attention away from the big picture and what we are making good strides towards achieving.

“It is time to bring that vision back to the foreground, re-connect with the direction the community bought into and make some really smart decisions from here.
Councillor Halse said that during consultation of the 20/20 Living the Vision Plan in February 2007 Council announced it would start the second harbour crossing, complete the Aquatic Centre, the Porowini/Okara Link, and would be beginning landscaping at the Town Basin.

“With great progress being made on an earlier 20/20 transport plan, we developed a visionary document designed to draw people and business into the centre of our city and get the place moving. It was based on the aspects of the city that people value and want to enhance.

For more information on lodging a proposal with Council, access to supporting information and indication of what proposals should look like, click on the following link:
Former NRC / Harbour Board Building

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:

Mt Eden Prison: Serco Inquiry Extended

A two month delay to the Government investigation into prison fight clubs shows the extent of problems within the Serco circus, says Labour’s Corrections spokesperson Kelvin Davis. More>>

ALSO:

Health And Safety: Late Addition Of National Security Provisions A Concern

The New Zealand Law Society has expressed its significant concerns at the last-minute addition to the Health and Safety Reform Bill of provisions for a closed material procedure for court proceedings where national security is involved. More>>

ALSO:

Rugby And Beer: World Cup Alcohol Bill Passes

ACT MP David Seymour’s Sale and Supply of Alcohol (Extended licensing hours during Rugby World Cup) Bill completed its third reading by 99 to 21... More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Flag Campaign

So far, the public has treated the government’s flag campaign with something between disinterest and disdain. Most New Zealanders have instinctively seen through the marketing hype involved. More>>

Change For 2017: Local Govt To Decide On Easter Sunday Trading

The Government is to enable local communities, through councils, to decide whether retailers can open on Easter Sunday, Workplace Relations and Safety Minister Michael Woodhouse announced. More>>

ALSO:

(And Targets Worse Than Australia's): Foresters Abandoning Emissions Trading Scheme

The Government’s gutting of the Emissions Trading Scheme has caused foresters to leave and emissions to rise, says Labour’s Climate Change spokesperson Megan Woods. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news