Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Rotorua wins bid to stage 2015 national brass band champs

Rotorua wins bid to stage 2015 national brass band champs


Rotorua has won a bid to host one of the country’s largest competitive music events, the 2015 National Brass Band Championships.

The event is to be based at the Rotorua Convention Centre from 8 to 12 July with up to 28 brass bands participating from across New Zealand, including some from Australia

The event includes competition in four band grades, and will also feature a spectacular street march on Friday 10 July. Another highlight will be the coveted Champion of Champions competition in the Civic Theatre on the Saturday night [11 July].

Rotorua District Council’s Creative Communities Strategy portfolio lead, Councillor Glenys Searancke, said a record number of bands was likely, with three top grade bands from Australia already indicating they were keen to travel to Rotorua.

“We’re expecting somewhere around 700 bandsmen to descend on our city for at least four days, along with a large number of officials, families and supporters – potentially several thousand people all up. Many bands are so keen to come here next year they’ve already booked their accommodation.

“This is a huge event for Rotorua and it’s going to provide a welcome boost to our local economy, especially at what is traditionally a quieter off-season time of the year. It’s good news for our key Rotorua 2030 priority goal of attracting new activities that bring real economic benefit to our district. This year’s 2014 national champs were in Invercargill where the local newspaper headline was “Brass bands have city tills ringing.” So we’re expecting even more of the same here in Rotorua next year for our local accommodation operators, restaurants and retailers.”

Mrs Searancke, who is also president of Rotorua Brass, said she was “absolutely stoked” that Rotorua’s bid had been successful. She said the council’s Events & Venues team had helped put together a compelling and professional bid, which was presented in Wellington by Waikato/Bay of Plenty Brass Band Association president Stephen Clayton.

“The feedback I received was that there was overwhelming support for Rotorua’s bid; the key reasons being that this is a great place for bandsmen and their families, that we’re an easy place to get to and we offer a superb range of accommodation.

“The national competition is going to be a massive logistical exercise. However we’ve already received generous offers of volunteer help from a number of organisations, like Rotorua Musical Theatre who rely on local brass players to support their major productions. It’s really great to see different organisations working together for the common benefit of Rotorua.

“With this sort of support, Rotorua’s experience in hosting big events, and the well-known hospitality of our local people, we’re going to deliver four magic days that will be the envy of other cities - and that Rotorua will be very proud of. Roll on July 2015,” says Mrs Searancke.

END

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

TV3 Video: Key 'Genuinely Couldn't Recall' Texts
Reaction: Greens | More

Gordon Campbell: On Government Arrogance

Right now, National is ramming anti-terrorism measures through Parliament. This legislation will grant the SIS the power to carry out 48 hour bouts of surveillance on anyone without a warrant, and will bestow on government the power to unilaterally revoke anyone’s passports and thus deny them the freedom to travel.

Ludicrously, the public has been given exactly one day to make submissions on these major infringements of their civil liberties. Despite Finlayson’s misleading signals on RNZ that these are only stopgaps until next year’s full review of our security laws, the measures in question will not, in fact, expire until 2018.

Why the insane rush? Good question. More>>

 
 

Parliament Today:

Glenn Inquiry: Report Offers Solutions To Family Violence

The People’s Blueprint unveiled today by Sir Owen Glenn’s independent inquiry into child abuse and domestic violence outlines a new, more cohesive and effective system for reducing New Zealand’s alarmingly high family violence rates. More>>

ALSO:

Key Texts With Whale Oil Released: PM Can’t Be Trusted Over Dirty Politics Defence - Greens

John Key’s answers to questions about dirty politics can’t be trusted, after he was forced to admit that he had misled journalists and Parliament about contact with attack blogger Cameron Slater, said the Green Party today.. More>>

ALSO:

Temporary Release Crackdown Continues: Corrections Review Of Phillip Smith Case

“The review by Corrections’ Chief Custodial Officer reveals that the plan for Smith’s series of temporary releases was overly ambitious and misinformed. He’s a highly manipulative and deceptive person who although technically eligible, should not have been considered for temporary release." More>>

ALSO:

White Ribbon Day: Govt Resumes Sexual Violence Trial Proceedings Work

Justice Minister Amy Adams has asked the Law Commission to resume work on proposals for better supporting victims of sexual violence through the criminal process. The Law Commission will revisit its previous work on alternative pre-trial and trial processes to identify options for improving complainants’ experience in court. More>>

ALSO:

"New Faces, Wise Heads": Andrew Little Announces New Labour Line Up

Labour Leader Andrew Little today announced a bold new caucus line up which brings forward new talent and draws on the party’s depth of experience. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Rick Ellis As Te Papa’s New CEO

The recent appointment of former TVNZ boss Rick Ellis to head Te Papa has copped a fair bit of criticism. Much of it has been inspired by the suspicion that Ellis has been hired to pursue the same purely commercial goals as he did at TVNZ, while similarly neglecting the serious cultural side of his mandate. More>>

Passport Cancellation, Surveillance: Draft 'Foreign Fighters Legislation' Released

The final draft of the Countering Terrorist Fighters Legislation Bill contains proposals previously announced by Mr Key in a major national security speech earlier this month. More>>

ALSO:

Related

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news