Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Christchurch bar loses licence to operate pokies

Christchurch bar loses licence to operate pokies


The Gambling Commission has upheld the cancellation of a Christchurch pub’s licence to operate pokies and confirmed that local woman Sonya McIntyre cannot supervise their pokie machine gambling.

The decision means that no pokies will be running at the Sideline Bar in Richmond for the foreseeable future.

Sideline’s pokie machines are owned by the gaming machine society, Bluegrass Trust – itself at the centre of a recent Gambling Commission decision.

“We are determined to ensure that those operating in the gambling sector are honest and have integrity and this decision is part of that effort”, says Raj Krishnan, Acting Director Gambling Compliance, Department of Internal Affairs.

“Earlier this year the Gambling Commission confirmed that Mrs McIntyre’s brother-in-law, Ray McIntyre was not a suitable person to be involved in the pokie sector in its decision regarding the Phoenix Charitable Trust. [decision GC 04/14]

“This decision makes it clear that expectations of people with key roles in the gambling sector are high, and that dishonest behaviour will not be tolerated.”

The Gambling Commission made its decision on 21 August 2014 and released it publicly on Monday 25 August.

Internal Affairs told the Commission that Mrs McIntyre, the owner of Sideline and the business operating the venue, Stanmore Star Investments, supplied false and misleading information to gambling inspectors about the source of funding for the purchase of the venue. It said she was instructed to provide false information by a third party, who also knew the information to be false.

An Internal Affairs investigation began in early 2012, prompted by concerns about where Mrs McIntyre sourced funding to buy the Sideline bar. An email exchange between Mrs McIntyre and her brother-in-law, Ray, was an important part of the Commission’s assessment.

Bluegrass and Stanmore Star Investments told the Commission they rejected the allegations made about Mrs McIntyre and argued that cancellation of the licence was a disproportionate response.

The Gambling Commission however concludes that Mrs McIntyre did provide false information and only corrected that “when it became clear to her that she had been caught out by the Department’s request for supporting documentation. And that her subsequent statements were “unconvincing and implausible.” (Paragraph 31 (d) & (e))

It says “the appearance of even a single example of dishonesty in the course of dealings with the Department is a matter of serious concern to the Commission in assessing the suitability of those involved in the conduct of Class 4 gambling.”

The Commission did not accept an argument that Mrs McIntyre could withdraw from managing gambling at the venue and be replaced by her husband Terry, in order for the pokie operation to continue. (Paragraph 46)

The Commission accepted that cancellation of the licence was appropriate. “There is a need for deterrent consequences for the dishonest provision of information to protect the integrity of the licensing process, especially in cases where detecting dishonesty is difficult.” (Paragraph 48)

Internal Affairs’ Raj Krishnan says: “Public expectations of the Class 4 gambling sector are high. Cancellation of this licence was necessary to maintain the effectiveness and integrity of the Class 4 licensing system.”

The cancellation of Sideline’s venue licence will take effect on 11 September 2014.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Pre-Caucus Audio:
David Cunliffe And
The Future Of The
Labour Party

David Cunliffe met with the press today after Saturday’s disappointing election result for The Labour Party.

“We are all deeply concerned by the result of our party vote. I want to be clear that I, as leader, am responsible for that result” Cunliffe said. Although he called the results “deeply disappointing” Cunliffe said “the voters are always right”.

He felt that Labour needed to make improvements and take action: “We don’t need months to get feedback from members of the public, we've had a lot over the past 48 hours”. More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On Labour’s Very Bad Year

While Labour leader David Cunliffe still appears to be in denial about the extent of Saturday night’s debacle, there was hardly a single redeeming feature about the election results for the centre-left... More>>

ALSO:

General Election NZ: National Win

Election Night: With almost all votes counted National and John Key have won a third term and are close to being able to govern alone if they so choose. Key has indicated he will still reach out to form a Government with ACT, United Future and Maori Party. More>>

ALSO:

Perfectly-Timed Anniversaries: Suffrage Day Is Last Chance To Enrol

“The last chance to enrol is Friday 19 September. You can’t enrol on election day.” More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On First Time Voting (Greens)

For the last two days, I’ve turned my column over to a couple of guest columnists who are first time voters… Today’s guest columnist is Ana Avia-O’Connor, who will be casting her first time vote on Saturday for the Greens. More>>

ALSO:

Meddling: Aussie Liberals Embroiled In Key Campaign

John Key needs to explain why Australia’s Liberal Party is interfering in New Zealand domestic politics and is encouraging Kiwi voters across the ditch to vote for National just days out from the election, Labour’s campaign spokesperson Annette King says. More>>

ALSO:

SURVEILLANCE:

Election Ad Soundtrack: Rapper Eminem Sues National Party Over Copyright Breach

US rapper Eminem is suing the New Zealand National Party for alleged copyright infringement over unauthorised use of the rapper’s ‘Lose Yourself’ song in an election campaign advertisement. More>>

ALSO:

Big March: Call For An End To Domestic Violence

Hundreds of protesters marched down Lambton Quay to Parliament Monday calling for an end to domestic violence. Wearing white facemasks, waving banners and calling for “safety” for the women and children of New Zealand.. More>>

ALSO:

Pre-Election Chartering: Four New Partnership Schools To Open

Education Minister Hekia Parata today announced the Government has signed contracts to open four new Partnership Schools in 2015. More>>

ALSO:

Werewolf 50 Out Now - The Election Issue: Loss Leaders

Gordon Campbell: A third term requires a mature decision, with eyes wide open. It calls for a conscious vote of confidence… Without trying hard here are about 19 reasons, in no particular order, for not ticking ‘party vote’ National. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news