Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Counties Manukau Police Recover Huge Construction Haul

Counties Manukau Police Recover Huge Construction Haul

[Photos: Counties Manukau Police Recover Huge Construction Haul | New Zealand Police]

Tuesday, 26 August 2014 - 5:13pm

Counties Manukau

Counties Manukau Police executed a search warrant today which has resulted in the recovery of thousands of dollars worth of building supplies in an operation known as Operation Supernova.

One man has been arrested and charged with at least six burglaries and has appeared in Manukau District Court. Following the search warrant, at least 14 other burglaries have been identified and it is expected that more charges will follow once Police have completed a full reconciliation of all the property recovered.

The 32 year old man is alleged to have been unlawfully entering construction sites and homes that were near completion at construction sites across Auckland, particularly in the East Auckland area. Among items that were targeted were kitchen and bathroom appliances, such as taps and whiteware, as well as builders’ property and tools.

A large amount of property was recovered and Police will spend the next couple of weeks working to identify the lawful owners.

“A search has located a large amount of property, which has predominantly been stolen from residential construction sites,” says Detective Sergeant Warrick Adkin of Counties Manukau East CIB. “The property searches will continue tomorrow but so far we have located tools, building equipment and heat pumps among other items.

“We are working with a number of people who have reported stolen property and will work with them to identify as much as we can in order to return it to them.

“We are still looking to identify owners for other items including spray painting equipment, lawnmowers and internal and external doors. Anyone who knows they have had items like this go missing from a construction site is asked to contact Police.”

Indications are that although a number of the burglaries took place in East Auckland, construction sites all across Auckland were targeted.

The man was identified after information was passed on by members of the public, who had witnessed suspicious activity and noted a registration plate on a car being used by the accused.

“Information from the public was essential in this case and it is encouraging to see that the community is willing to pass on information about suspicious activity in their area,” says Detective Sergeant Adkin.

Advice for people working on a construction site:

• Enqure your equipment and vehicles are secured at all times
• Use ‘just in time’ delivery for all materials
• Remove all tools and sercure the property at the end of the day
• Mark (etch) tools and equipment with an identifiable marker
• Report suspicious activity to Police

“Identifying your property with your name or company’s name is particularly helpful and can lead to your belongings being returned if they are recovered,” says Detective Sergeant Adkin. “Many of the generic items we have recovered today such as ladders and other tools that don't have serial numbers can be returned to their owners because they were marked.”

Anyone with information or a specific enquiry about the stolen property can contact Detective Sergeant Warrick Adkin on 09 250 2808.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

2040 Target And Lower Standards: “Swimmable” Rivers Five Times More Likely To Make You Sick

Forest & Bird has condemned the government’s new water quality standards, warning New Zealanders that they lock in current levels of water pollution and allow for a 5-fold increase in the chance of getting sick from swimming in a river.

“Despite an explicit assurance from Minister Smith that the new water standards would provide for human and ecosystem health, he has failed to deliver on either of these things,” says Forest & Bird CEO Kevin Hague. More>>

ALSO:

 
 

Immigration: Clampdown On Rogue Employers Good First Step

The Human Trafficking Research Coalition is pleased at the new clampdown on rouge employers who exploit migrants announced by Minister Woodhouse this morning, and believes this is a step in the right direction. More>>

ALSO:

Mayor: 750 New Social And Affordable Homes For Wellington (Over A Decade)

The next stage of Wellington’s Housing Upgrade Programme will see at least 750 new units of social and affordable housing built over the next decade, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>

ALSO:

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial. More>>

ALSO:


November Quakes:

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:


Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news