Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Waihao Box Reserve ready to reopen to the public

Media Release

27 August 2014

Waihao Box Reserve ready to reopen to the public

The Waihao Box Reserve, which has been closed since mid-February, is due to open again to the public this weekend (August 30).

The reserve has been closed while Environment Canterbury carried out complex repairs on the Waihao Box drainage system.

Area Engineer (Southern) Bruce Scarlett said that excellent progress had been made on the project in recent weeks after bad weather, flooding and heavy seas had slowed work down in the early winter.

“We have had a reasonable run and the Waihao Box is now back working as intended to provide effective drainage for the Waihao River and Wainono Lagoon catchments.”

The project was one of the most extensive reconstructions ever carried out on the Box which is more than a century old. It will improve its effectiveness which had decreased in recent years because of damage caused by regular pounding by heavy seas.

The work involved replacing rotting timbers and piles and repositioning the box in response to changes in the beach profile and cost an estimated $400,000. Public access to the reserve had been closed during the work because of the hazardous nature of project.

“We’re confident that the Box will now be operating well for many more decades to come,” Mr Scarlett said.

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

Also, Loan Interest: Productivity Commission On Tertiary Education

Key recommendations include better quality control; making it easier for students to transfer between courses; abolishing University Entrance; enabling tertiary institutions to own and control their assets; making it easier for new providers to enter the system; and facilitating more and faster innovation by tertiary education providers... More>>

ALSO:

Higher Payments: Wellington Regional Council Becomes A Living Wage Employer

Councillor Sue Kedgley said she was delighted that the Wellington Regional Council unanimously adopted her motion to become a Living Wage employer, making it the first regional council in New Zealand to do so. More>>

ALSO:

Scoop Images:
Dame Patsy Reddy Sworn In As Governor-General

This morning Dame Patsy Reddy was sworn in as the New Zealand Realm’s 21st Governor-General. The ceremony began with a pōwhiri to welcome Dame Patsy and her husband Sir David Gascoigne to Parliament. More>>

ALSO:

Ruataniwha: DOC, Hawke's Bay Council Developer Take Supreme Court Appeal

The Department of Conservation and Hawke's Bay Regional Investment Company (HBRIC) are appealing to the Supreme Court over a conservation land swap which the Court of Appeal halted. More>>

ALSO:

With NZ's Marama Davidson: Women’s Flotilla Leaves Sicily – Heading For Gaza

Women representing 13 countries spanning five continents began their journey yesterday on Zaytouna-Oliva to the shores of Gaza, which has been under blockade since 2007. On board are a Nobel Peace Laureate, three parliamentarians, a decorated US diplomat, journalists, an Olympic athlete, and a physician. A list of the women with their background can be found here. More>>

Gordon Campbell: On The Key Style Of Crisis Management

At Monday’s post Cabinet press conference Key was in his finest wide- eyed “Problem? What problem?” mode. No, there wasn’t really a problem that top MPI officials had been at odds with each other over the meaning of the fisheries policy and how that policy should be pursued... More>>

ALSO:

Mt Roskill: Greens Will Not Stand In Likely Post-Goff By-Election

“The Green Party’s priority is changing the Government in 2017, and as part of that we’ve decided that we won’t stand a candidate in the probable Mt Roskill by-election... This decision shows the Memorandum of Understanding between Labour and the Green Party is working." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news