Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Work to start on new look for Cenotaph plaza

NEWS RELEASE

27 August 2014

Work to start on new look for Cenotaph plaza

Work on refurbishing the Cenotaph plaza in central Wellington is set to start next Monday (1 September).

This $2.5m joint venture between Wellington City Council and the Parliamentary Service will rejuvenate the plaza around the monument and feature more open space, a new public art sculpture and a grand staircase to improve pedestrian access to Parliament.

Wellington Mayor Celia Wade-Brown says the Cenotaph will be one of the locations for remembrance during next year’s Anzac commemorations and the refurbishment will be completed before these events.

“Next year 2015 is both Gallipoli’s centenary and the 150th anniversary of Wellington becoming the Capital,” says the Mayor.

“This project elegantly links Parliament to its civic surrounds. The natural and cultural heritage will be expressed, enhancing Wellington’s sense of place.”

The Cenotaph was built in 1929 to honour soldiers killed in the First World War. Some of the original features of the monument will be restored, including garden beds and three levels of light-coloured paving that will reinstate the original shape and open space around it.

The Council is undertaking the improvements to the plaza – partially funded by a $382,000 grant awarded by the World War One Commemorations, Environment and Heritage Committee of the Lottery Grants Board as a legacy project for the commemorations.

The construction of the grand diagonal staircase is being funded by the Parliamentary Service.

Parliamentary Service General Manager David Stevenson says the project will strengthen the connection between Parliament and the Cenotaph, a Wellington landmark, in the city.

“It will also give more space for Anzac Day ceremonies and other gatherings, and create a more pedestrian-friendly area.”

As well as new lights and seats in the plaza area, a sculpture by Joe Sheehan will lead pedestrians through the plaza’s open space, along the path of Waipiro Stream (now underground), with pieces of jade laid in the paving and the sound of flowing water coming from speakers set in the ground. The $180,000 artwork is funded by the Council and Wellington Sculpture Trust.

To make way for the new-look plaza and the staircase, the public toilets on Bowen Street will be removed, as will a number of trees, including four pohutukawa and a Norfolk pine in Parliament Grounds that come out this weekend.

Chair of the Council’s Transport and Urban Development Committee Andy Foster says the redesign is part of the city’s overall plan to improve the area around Parliament.

“Having a dynamic central city means creating high quality surroundings that include attractive parks and squares to encourage people to spend time outdoors. The refurbished Cenotaph precinct will be one of these special areas.

“This part of Wellington has tremendous significance for iwi, going all the way back to Māori settlement in pre-European times. The Cenotaph upgrade will greatly enhance the heritage of the monument and the city’s culture and history.”

A blessing will be held at the Cenotaph before work starts.


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

 

PARLIAMENT TODAY:


Images & Video: Four Alternative Flags For Referendum

Flag Consideration Panel chair, Professor John Burrows, said the Panel’s decision had been guided first and foremost by the results of its engagement programme across a range of communities where thousands of Kiwis shared what was special about New Zealand, as well as the Panel’s own selection criteria. More>>

ALSO:

Labour: New Figures Show Speculators Rampant

New figures released by the Reserve Bank show there’s been an explosion in mortgage lending with most of the growth going to property investors, Labour’s Housing spokesperson Phil Twyford says. More>>

ALSO:

False Official Information Response: English's Apology Accepted

Finance Minister Bill English is being thanked for his apology to New Zealand First Leader and Member of Parliament for Northland Rt Hon Winston Peters... Mr English says his staff and the Treasury have searched again, and they found the document that they denied having. More>>

ALSO:

Midwives On Pay Equity: Historic Bill Of Rights Case For High Court

“We have been left with no choice.” That from Karen Guilliland, the Chief Executive of the New Zealand College of Midwives, as the organisation prepares to file a pay parity discrimination case on the basis of gender under the NZ Bill of Rights Act in the High Court. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Children’s Commission Report On CYF

Accusing the overworked and underfunded staff at Child, Youth and Family of a “dump and run culture of neglect” is the kind of luxury that a Children’s Commissioner can afford to indulge in from his own comfy perch in the bureaucracy. More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news