Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Police seek further information following Harter guilty plea

Police seek further information following Harter guilty plea.

Tuesday, 2 September 2014 - 4:41pm

Eastern

Police say there could be more victims of a child sex offender who taught in schools in Hawke's Bay and Wellington.

Charles Harter, 63, appeared in the Hastings District Court today on nine charges of indecent assault. The charges relate to nine children he had contact with during his time as a music and drama teacher at Havelock North Primary School from 2012 to July this year.

Harter pleaded guilty to all nine charges today and was remanded in custody until sentencing on 23 October.

Detective Sergeant Nic Clere of Hawke’s Bay CIB said the investigation into Harter’s offending was ongoing and it was possible there were more victims in the community who have not come forward yet to police.

Police have met with the Havelock North Primary School board of trustees and parents of children at the school to inform them of the investigation process. Police have set up an 0800 number and email contact for parents of children who were taught by Harter.

“The investigation team has established that Mr Harter has taught many children during his 40 year teaching career in Hawke’s Bay, Wellington and Masterton. While we have spoken to several children so far, there is a possibility there may be more victims that we don’t yet know about.

“If parents have any concerns or questions about the investigation and/or any concerns about their children who were taught by Mr Harter, they can ring the investigation team in confidence and we will explain the investigation process with them,” Mr Clere said.

Parents can contact police via the following:

0800 DAYTON - 0800 329866

Operation.Daytona@police.govt.nz(link sends e-mail)

END


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell:
On Andrew Little’s Debut, Mockingjay, And Drunk Texting

John Key’s credibility has taken a hammering this week – at least among the 50% of the electorate who have always had doubts about him on that score.

The other substantial story of the week has been about Andrew Little’s debut as Labour leader, which has received top marks, especially among the 25% of the electorate still voting Labour. According to some reports, the Labour caucus has been ‘in seventh heaven’ about Little’s success this week in taking it to the government in the House. More>>

ALSO:

 
 

Parliament Today:

Gordon Campbell: On Government Arrogance

Right now, National is ramming anti-terrorism measures through Parliament. This legislation will grant the SIS the power to carry out 48 hour bouts of surveillance on anyone without a warrant, and will bestow on government the power to unilaterally revoke anyone’s passports and thus deny them the freedom to travel. More>>

ALSO:

Glenn Inquiry: Report Offers Solutions To Family Violence

The People’s Blueprint unveiled today by Sir Owen Glenn’s independent inquiry into child abuse and domestic violence outlines a new, more cohesive and effective system for reducing New Zealand’s alarmingly high family violence rates. More>>

ALSO:

Environment Commissioner: Changing Climate And Rising Seas - Understanding The Science

A rising sea will be with us for a long time to come – one way or another we will have to adapt. But how high and how fast the water rises will be influenced by the speed at which the world – including New Zealand – reduces greenhouse gas emissions over the coming decades. More>>

ALSO:

Key Texts With Whale Oil Released: PM Can’t Be Trusted Over Dirty Politics Defence - Greens

John Key’s answers to questions about dirty politics can’t be trusted, after he was forced to admit that he had misled journalists and Parliament about contact with attack blogger Cameron Slater, said the Green Party today.. More>>

ALSO:

Temporary Release Crackdown Continues: Corrections Review Of Phillip Smith Case

“The review by Corrections’ Chief Custodial Officer reveals that the plan for Smith’s series of temporary releases was overly ambitious and misinformed. He’s a highly manipulative and deceptive person who although technically eligible, should not have been considered for temporary release." More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news