Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Boats still breaching Rena exclusion zone

Boats still breaching Rena exclusion zone

9 September 2014

More boats are breaching the two nautical mile exclusion zone around the Rena wreck on Astrolabe Reef (Otaiti).

Bay of Plenty Regional Harbour Master Peter Buell said all boaties needed to be aware of the exclusion zone while out on the water.

“Large vessels in particular have no excuse as the Notice to Mariners is clear. Rena operations are still underway, and they need to be able to work without other vessels getting in the way.”

So far there have been 56 recorded breaches of the exclusion zone since the beginning of this year, and six infringement fines were issued. Boats which were not issued with an infringement notice had made only minor or inadvertent breaches, and were warned.

The breaches were by everything from bulk carriers and fishing vessels to launches private yachts.

Patrols are continuing daily around the exclusion zone and anyone found in the exclusion zone may be fined, Mr Buell said.

The Rena marine operational site is set by the Regional Harbour Master, and salvors Resolve Salvage & Fire has autonomy over water 1000 m from the reef. The company is patrolling the area and their skippers have been issued with honorary warrants to collect names and addresses of those who breach the zone.

Download a high resolution map of the exclusion zone (6.5MB).

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Malaysia Exposing Our Dodgy Policies On China

Last week, we all owed a vote of thanks to Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad for breaking with protocol during his bilateral meeting in Singapore with New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern. Reportedly, Mahathir used the photo opportunity phase of the meeting – which usually involves just an exchange of smiles and pleasantries before the media is sent out of the room – to launch into matters of genuine substance.

By doing so, Mahathir usefully exposed how New Zealand is trying to make a virtue out of sitting on the fence over the South China Sea dispute. More>>

 

Climate Change: Top Academics Call On Government To Take Action

One hundred and fifty academics and researchers from around Aotearoa, including Dame Anne Salmond, Emeriti Professors and several Fellows of the Royal Society, have signed a strongly-worded open letter to the Government demanding bold and urgent action to tackle climate change. More>>

ALSO:

Teacher Qualifications, Class Sizes: Ten Year Plan For Early Learning

“Moving towards 100 percent qualified teachers in early childhood education centres and improving adult:child ratios are among some of the key proposals for change put forward by the sector and experts in the new draft ten year strategic plan for early learning,” Chris Hipkins said. More>>

ALSO:

Teacher Strikes: Meeting, March And Rally In Wellington

Throughout the Wellington region the NZEI rolling strikes entered their final day Friday. Thousands of teachers met in Wellington, Kapiti, Porirua and the Wairarapa. More>>

ALSO:

14/11: Two Years’ Progress Since The Kaikoura Earthquake

Mayor John Leggett said it was a day for reflection, but also a time to recognise the work by many people to support progress towards recovery made across Marlborough since November 2016. More>>

ALSO:

Pike River: Mine Drift Re-Entry Plan To Proceed

“I’ve decided the Te Kāhui Whakamana Rua Tekau Mā Iwa - Pike River Recovery Agency, recommended course of action to enter the drift, using the existing access tunnel, is by far the safest option,” said Andrew Little. More>>

ALSO:

Appointments: New High Commissioner To Australia Announced

“Dame Annette King needs no introduction given her long running career as a parliamentarian where she has previously held a number senior Cabinet portfolios, including Justice, Police and Health. She also was Parliament’s longest serving female MP with 30 years’ service,” said Mr Peters. More>>

ALSO:

Two Years Since Kaikoura: Silvia Cartwright To Lead Inquiry Into EQC

“The inquiry will be the first of its kind under the Public Inquiries Act 2013 and will have all the powers of a Royal Commission, be independent of Government and make its report directly to the Governor-General. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels