Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Tenders chosen for Mount surf reef removal

Tenders chosen for Mount surf reef removal


17 September 2014


Work will start soon on removing the Mount Maunganui surf reef to reduce the risk to swimmers near Tay Street beach.

Bay of Plenty Regional Council decided to partially remove the artificial reef earlier this year once its resource consent expired. The reef had attracted public criticism, with surfers saying it did not provide the intended surf breaks, and surf lifesaving organisations concerned it was creating dangerous rips for swimmers.

Several companies tendered for the removal, and specialist marine contractors Underwater Solutions Ltd will start work from Tay Street beach soon.

Regional Council Deputy Chief Executive Eddie Grogan said the tops of the large sandbags which formed the artificial reef would be removed and left for a few days for the tide to remove some of the sand. The bags would then be removed by barge.

“The sand inside the bags had been filled at the site so there are no issues with releasing foreign organisms via this process,” he said.

“There is already a lot of sea life attached to the bags, which was one way the reef has worked as intended. The undersea area will quickly return to its former state once the engineering works are completed."

The site would be surveyed once the work was complete, and then annually to ensure that natural processes had resumed and that partial removal of the reef had worked.

The Mount Maunganui Reef Trust obtained resource consent in August 2000 to construct the offshore submerged reef about 250 m offshore from the Tay Street/Marine Parade corner. The $1.5 million reef, built from 2005 to 2008 with donations from the public and community funding groups, had never functioned as intended.

The five year consent term granted lapsed in 2010 and the Regional Council, as RMA regulator, needed to consider options for its future management, Mr Grogan said.

“The reef generated some unforeseen effects, including creating a large scour hole which affects waves and currents, increasing the frequency and intensity of rips, which pose a serious risk to swimmers in the popular Tay Street area.”

A specialist review recommended the reef structure be removed in a staged process. Removing the largest geotextile containers would likely eliminate health and safety and environmental issues, Mr Grogan said.

The removal work was likely to take up to two weeks and was weather dependant, he said. The work would be signposted on Tay Street beach asking water users to keep away from the barge.

Ends

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Veronika Meduna: The Kaikoura Rebuild

A Scoop Foundation Investigation

Friday will be a big day for people north of Kaikōura – and for hundreds of construction workers who are racing to reopen State Highway 1 in time for the holiday season.

By the afternoon, the South Island’s main transport corridor will be open to traffic again, more than a year after a magnitude 7.8 earthquake mangled bridges and tunnels, twisted rail tracks and buried sections of the road under massive landslides. More>>

 

BPS HYEFU WYSIWYG: Labour's Budget Plans, Families Package

“Today we are announcing the full details of the Government’s Families Package. This is paid for by rejecting National’s tax cuts and instead targeting spending at those who need it most. It will lift 88,000 children out of poverty by 2021." More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Defence Spending, Alabama, And Dolly Parton

The spending lavished on Defence projects to meet the risks that could maybe, possibly, theoretically face New Zealand in future is breath-taking, given how successive governments have been reluctant to spend even a fraction of those amounts on the nation’s actual social needs. More>>

ALSO:

Members' Bills: End Of Life Choice Bill Passes First Reading

The End of Life Choice Bill in the name of David Seymour has been sent to a select committee for consideration by 76 votes to 44. It is the third time Parliament has voted on the issue in recent decades and the first time such a Bill has made it over the first hurdle. More>>

ALSO:

State Sector: MPI Survives Defrag Of Portfolios

The Ministry for Primary Industries will not be split under the new government, but will instead serve as an overarching body for four portfolio-based entities focused on fisheries, forestry, biosecurity and food safety. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Vulnerable Kids, RNZ Funding, And Poppy

The decision to remove the word ‘vulnerable’ from the Ministry for Vulnerable Children could well mark a whole shift in approach to the care of children in need... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages