Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Next steps for properties on the hill


Next steps for properties on the hill

Council’s role in managing the after effects of the land subsidence is first to ensure the safety of the affected residents and neighbouring properties.

The private owners of each house have lodged claims with the Earthquake Commission and the site is under assessment from EQC and their geotechnical engineers as to if and when the families are able to return.

“We believe there were 6 people from 3 families that self evacuated on Saturday afternoon, under the supervision of EQC and their geotechnical consultants,” says Ian Petty, Gisborne District Council Building and Consents Manager.

“We understand that the families have been working with their insurers and EQC on compensation for suitable alternate accommodation. It won’t be until the geotech engineers are satisfied the movement has ceased and there is no risk to the dwellings that the families may be able to return.”

Once they have completed their assessment any building consent application for remedial works will be submitted to council, accompanied by a detailed geotechnical report and design for the sites.

Council will have the design peer reviewed with an independent consultant and if there are no issues a consent to authorise the required works is likely to be issued.

“Council will expedite this process to ensure it occurs in a timely manner for the home owners.”

“It should be noted that not all remedial works will require a building consent. For example the deep horizontal drains that are currently being installed do not fall under the definition of building work.” Says Ian Petty.

The cause of the slip is still unknown but contractors are dealing immediately with sub-surface water to stop further degradation of the site.

The two newer houses built in 2008, were granted building consent by Council after geotechnical reports that accompanied the applications had been peer reviewed by the independent consultant Council uses.

The houses were built in compliance with all the recommended foundation and structural conditions placed on the consents, including consenting of water discharge down to the Valley road stream. “Stormwater collected from the house is piped down to the Valley road stream.”

“A prior EQC claim for movement under an unconsented retaining wall at number 34 and subsequent escarpment in front of the house had been underway since June, the assessment by EQC engineers reported no danger to dwellings.” Says Ian Petty.

Consents to repair the retaining wall were then issued by council under section 72 of the building act.

Gisborne District Council Chief Executive, Judy Campbell says she is confident staff have done all they can to ensure safe practices have been followed.

"Council relies on the technical advice of reports supplied by external experts and in complex situations has them peer reviewed. That practice was followed in this situation."

ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Principals' Federation:
End Of National Standards

Today the Minister of Education announced that the Government has stopped the controversial National Standards system of assessment and declared them an arbitrary measure which did not raise children's achievement as the previous Government intended.

"This is such a win for all the principals who never believed in national standards and who, for the past decade, have argued for what is morally right for our nation's young people and their learning," said Cormick. More>>

 

Public Good: People’s Report On Public Broadcasting And Media Presented

The People’s Commission on Public Broadcasting and Media, was crowdfunded and was informed by an extensive consultation, seeking the views of both those working in Media as well as gathering input both online and in person from ordinary Citizens. More>>

ALSO:

RBNZ To RNZB: PM's Press Conference

Prime Minister Jacinda Adern was joined by Minister of Finance Grant Robertson and Minister for Children Tracey Martin to announce the appointment of Adrian Orr as the new Governor of the Reserve Bank and the name change of the Ministry for Vulnerable Children to ‘Oranga Tamariki - Ministry for Children’. More>>

ALSO:

'Taming Globalised Capital': Why Is Labour Supporting Investment Rules In WTO?

‘Today, we learned the new government has added New Zealand’s name to a proposal designed to lead to foreign investment rules in the WTO at this week’s ministerial meeting in Argentina,’ said Auckland University Professor Jane Kelsey. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Politics Of Scaring Voters Back Into Line

Fear has always been a useful mobilising tool in politics… yet in 2017, bogeymen of all shapes and sizes seem to have fallen on hard times. For years, the National party had painted itself as being the only reliable defensive bastion against the terrifying prospect of a centre-left government… More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Drinking Water As A Failure Of Political Leadership

It is almost possible to feel sorry for the Health Ministry in their terrible, no good, very bad week... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages