Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Changes Made for New Cruise Ship Shuttle Stop

Changes Made for New Cruise Ship Shuttle Stop


Dunedin (Wednesday, 1 October 2014) – Motorists will notice a couple of changes in the Octagon in preparation for the cruise ship season.

Some road markings have been altered and signs are going up today as part of trial which will see shuttle buses dropping off and picking up passengers on the lower, eastern side of the Octagon carriageway, rather than on the upper side.

Dunedin City Council General Manager Infrastructure and Networks Tony Avery says the changes have been introduced following feedback from key stakeholders such as the New Zealand Transport Agency, the Otago Regional Council, the Police, taxi companies, tourism operators and nearby businesses.

Under the new arrangement, the centre line has been moved and a 50m long bus stop for cruise shuttle buses only has been introduced on the lower Octagon side. This has led to some traffic signal phase changes and right-hand turn options at either end of the carriageway have been removed.

Mr Avery says the new stop has several advantages. The lower side of the Octagon carriageway has a full canopy for shelter and a larger flat area for passengers to wait.

Under the new arrangement, neither the orange cones that had previously been required on the roadway to separate shuttle parking from traffic, nor the temporary barriers with traffic management staff, will be needed. Some people criticised this traffic management approach, saying it was visually unappealing.

The trial will last for the cruise ship season, which starts on 22 October, and will be reviewed in May next year. During the trial, the DCC would monitor and assess traffic volumes and public feedback.

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

BPS HYEFU WYSIWYG: Labour's Budget Plans, Families Package

“The BPS and the Treasury’s Half Year Economic and Fiscal Update show we can deliver our promises while running sustainable surpluses and paying down debt...

“Today we are announcing the full details of the Government’s Families Package. This is paid for by rejecting National’s tax cuts and instead targeting spending at those who need it most. It will lift 88,000 children out of poverty by 2021." More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On Defence Spending, Alabama, And Dolly Parton

The spending lavished on Defence projects to meet the risks that could maybe, possibly, theoretically face New Zealand in future is breath-taking, given how successive governments have been reluctant to spend even a fraction of those amounts on the nation’s actual social needs. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Vulnerable Kids, RNZ Funding, And Poppy

The decision to remove the word ‘vulnerable’ from the Ministry for Vulnerable Children could well mark a whole shift in approach to the care of children in need... More>>

ALSO:

Principals' Federation: End Of National Standards

Today the Minister of Education announced that the Government has stopped the controversial National Standards system of assessment and declared them an arbitrary measure which did not raise children's achievement as the previous Government intended. More>>

ALSO:

Public Good: People’s Report On Public Broadcasting And Media Presented

The People’s Commission on Public Broadcasting and Media, was crowdfunded and was informed by an extensive consultation, seeking the views of both those working in Media as well as gathering input both online and in person from ordinary Citizens. More>>

ALSO:

RBNZ To RNZB: PM's Press Conference

Prime Minister Jacinda Adern was joined by Minister of Finance Grant Robertson and Minister for Children Tracey Martin to announce the appointment of Adrian Orr as the new Governor of the Reserve Bank and the name change of the Ministry for Vulnerable Children to ‘Oranga Tamariki - Ministry for Children’. More>>

ALSO:

'Taming Globalised Capital': Why Is Labour Supporting Investment Rules In WTO?

‘Today, we learned the new government has added New Zealand’s name to a proposal designed to lead to foreign investment rules in the WTO at this week’s ministerial meeting in Argentina,’ said Auckland University Professor Jane Kelsey. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages