Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

New Brighton Pier still home to Guy Fawkes 2016

Friday 17 June 2016

New Brighton Pier still home to Guy Fawkes 2016

Christchurch’s Guy Fawkes Fireworks Spectacular will go ahead in its traditional home at New Brighton Pier in 2016, despite repairs to the popular landmark getting underway in the spring.

“Repairs will be in full swing by November, and there were questions around whether we’d be able to get the fireworks display set up in such a busy worksite,” says David Adamson, Christchurch City Council’s General Manager City Services.

“Our Guy Fawkes events are particularly dazzling, and involve a lot of preparation and hardware that normally wouldn’t be feasible on such a busy worksite. Fortunately, the Council’s Events Production and Capital Delivery teams have been working hard to ensure that things can be done safely, and we can confirm that everything’s full steam ahead for 2016.”

The free event is set to be held on Saturday 5 November, and the 24 hours required for setup and shut-down is not expected to delay or disrupt New Brighton Pier’s repair programme.

“We were determined to keep Guy Fawkes in the east – New Brighton Pier is a picturesque venue that works for audiences from all over the city, and we’re pleased to be able to keep it at its traditional home this year,” Mr Adamson says.

“Usually, the crowds gather on the beach to watch the spectacle, and access to the Pier is always restricted anyway for safety reasons, so the logistics of the 2016 show will be no different to any other year as far as the audiences are concerned.

“We also intend to host the 2017 event at New Brighton Pier – it all depends on how advanced the repairs are at that stage, but we will be working towards this goal.”

New Brighton Pier may be closed for a period of between 12 and 18 months, depending on the chosen repair method and the sea conditions. New Brighton Library will also be closed for repairs for an estimated six months beginning in spring, but the Salt on the Pier café will remain open throughout the majority of the works. This timeframe will be confirmed when a contractor is appointed to work on the Library.


– ends –

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Bridges’ ‘Meth Crooks’ Leadership Failure

Back in June, Bridges publicly accepted that Housing NZ had got it wrong, and that the National government had acted upon bad advice.

Now, you’d think this admission would create a broad bi-partisan basis for compensation to those families who had been unfairly evicted, at considerable cost and emotional distress. Some people had lost their possessions in trying to meet the expense of the upheaval.

Not everyone felt so compassionate. More>>

 

Multimedia & Transcript: Acting PM's Press Conference

Winston Peters, Acting Prime Minister while Jacinda Ardern is in New York for the UN Leaders' Week, held a short press conference Monday after chairing this week's cabinet meeting. More>>

General Assembly: Ardern Rejects Trump Call For War On Drugs

New Zealand will not be signing the United States' document calling for global action on the war on drugs, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says. Ms Ardern is in New York for the United Nations General Assembly this week, along with about 140 other world leaders. More>>

ALSO:

Pay Equity: Cabinet Funds Deal For Oranga Tamariki Social Workers

The Minister said that an agreement in principle has been reached between Oranga Tamariki and the PSA on a settlement worth $114.6m over five years. More>>

ALSO:

Hunting v Pest Control: Tahr Control Needed To Protect Alpine Habitats

A cull of introduced Himalayan tahr browsing conservation land in Kā Tiritiri o Te Moana/ the Southern Alps is needed to protect special alpine plants and their habitats, Conservation Minister, Eugenie Sage said. More>>

ALSO:

Protest At Sea: Judge Discharges Greenpeace Activists

The judge today discharged Norman and Howell without conviction, saying the cumulative consequences of a conviction would be out of proportion to what was “low level” offending off the Wairarapa coast in April 2017. More>>

ALSO:

No Reshuffle: Meka Whaitiri Removed As A Minister

Meka Whaitiri will be removed as a Minister with immediate effect... The decision was made after receiving a report into an incident that occurred on 27 August in Gisborne, involving Meka Whaitiri and one of her staff. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels