Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

New freedom camping rules approved

Wednesday, 2 November 2016

New freedom camping rules approved

New changes to Christchurch’s freedom camping rules will serve to better manage the safety of visitors, residents and the environment as the district moves into the busy summer period, says Deputy Mayor Andrew Turner.

The Council today approved amendments to its Freedom Camping Bylaw that ban all non-self-contained freedom camping throughout the district, but allow certified self-contained freedom camping without a time restriction in rural zones. The new rules come into effect from 1 December.

“It’s important to highlight that Christchurch is still very much open to freedom campers and other visitors looking to make the most of low-cost camping grounds,” says Deputy Mayor Turner. “But there’s now a simpler district-wide rule for how freedom camping can be carried out, namely in a certified self-contained vehicle.”

Certified self-contained vehicles are those equipped with on-board wastewater facilities and approved by the NZ Motor Caravan Association.

Deputy Mayor Turner says the Council has a responsibility to the public to ensure freedom camping across the district is well managed and safe.

“With the city’s visitor numbers increasing year on year, the Council must take a long-term view and balance the interests of freedom campers with those of residents, other visitors and our local environment.

“The recent public consultation showed a clear majority of submitters were in general support of the changes to the Freedom Camping Bylaw, and this gave confidence to the Council’s decision today.”



The Council introduced the Freedom Camping Bylaw last year, initially designating five specific sites for non-self-contained freedom camping in the district: Lower Styx River car park, Windsport car park, Addington Reserve car park, and parts of the French Farm and Wainui foreshores.

However, overcrowding, unsanitary conditions and complaints from residents forced the Council to temporarily close the sites.

The majority of complaints related to campers not using toilets, or disposing of wastewater and rubbish improperly, or preventing others accessing popular recreation areas.

Following today’s Council decision, the five previously designated sites will remain permanently closed to all freedom camping.

A full review of the Freedom Camping Bylaw is scheduled for next year.

– Ends –


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

SCOOP COVERAGE: CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUES TERROR ATTACK


Remembrance: Anzac After Christchurch

A community group is creating The Sound of Peace, a crowdsourced soundscape that captures messages of peace from New Zealanders in their own voices and languages...

The Anzac Eve event, The Art of Remembrance with Kristin Darragh, is a concert and memorial service in the grounds of the historic St David’s Memorial Church in Uptown Auckland.

‘As we remember the lives lost in World War One, we remember the horrors of all wars, and the potential to reach out across the divides now to expand understanding and a sense of our shared humanity.’ More>>

 

NZ And France To Seek To End Use Of Social Media For Terrorism

New Zealand and France announced today that the two nations will bring together countries and tech companies in an attempt to bring to an end the ability to use social media to organise and promote terrorism and violent extremism, in the wake of the March 15 terrorist attacks in Christchurch New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Christchurch Attacks: Families Offered Option To Stay Permanently

Immigration New Zealand has created a special visa category for those directly impacted by the shootings at Al Noor Mosque and Linwood mosque, as well as their families. More>>

ALSO:

Auckland: Consent Granted For Queens Wharf Cruise Ship Upgrade

In its decision, released this afternoon, Auckland Council says that although the upgrade will have a "range of adverse effects on the environment, both during construction and operation", these can be managed to an "acceptable" level. More>>

ALSO:

Welfare: Access To Hardship Grants Hits Record High

Figures from the Ministry of Social Development for the March 2019 Quarter showed that hardship assistance grants increased by $48 million in the past year... They also showed the emergency housing grants went from $6.6m to $23m, and there were 70,000 extra requests for assistance for food. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Scrapping The Capital Gains Tax

As PM Jacinda Arden said yesterday, there was no point in Labour bringing a proposal into the House that it didn’t have the votes to get passed. Looking back, maybe she always felt this outcome to be inevitable... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels