Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Apollo to start work on QEII next month

Wednesday 2 November 2016

Apollo to start work on QEII next month

Christchurch City Council has chosen Apollo Projects Ltd to build the new QEII Recreation and Sport Centre.

Apollo is scheduled to start work onsite in December 2016, creating the eagerly awaited 4573 square metre facility which will return swimming and fitness amenities to QEII Park. The previous facility was badly damaged in the 2011 earthquakes and demolished in 2012.

“Apollo are experts in aquatics and have done sterling work for the Council before, rebuilding the Norman Kirk Memorial Pool in Lyttelton and the Scarborough Paddling Pool,” says Coastal Ward Councillor David East. “The project has some very particular specs, and Apollo are the ideal contractors to deliver exactly what we’re after, on schedule and on budget.”

Paul Lloyd, Apollo Projects CEO/Director, says that the locally-owned company is incredibly proud to be involved in the QEII project.

"We’re proud not just because it's a great asset for the community, but more for what it represents for the city,” he says. “The old QEII had been part of Christchurch for around 40 years when the earthquakes happened, and we all have our memories – as a parent who’s spent a lot of time poolside at QEII watching my three kids compete, it's an honour to be part of this new complex.”

Burwood Ward Councillor Glenn Livingstone says the centre is expected to open in mid-2018.

“The community is eager to see a facility of this calibre return to QEII Park, and it’s great news that the start date is just around the corner,” he says. “The new centre will include leisure and training pools, as well as a hydroslide, water adventure playground, steamroom and sauna, fitness centre and a café. For the cherry on top, the Christchurch Earthquake Appeal Trust has generously provided $7.47 million (including GST) towards the water attractions.”

The project will be the first sign of construction in QEII Park as it enters a busy period of redevelopment. The Ministry of Education is also set to begin the relocation of Avonside Girls’ and Shirley Boys’ High Schools to QEII Park in 2017.

For more information, please visit www.ccc.govt.nz/qeii

- ends -

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Joseph Cederwall: Ten reasons to have hope for a better Media in the future

Last week, I wrote about the news crisis in 2018 and why there is hope for journalism despite of (or perhaps because of) this dire situation. This piece will explore what exactly gives us hope at Scoop and will outline some tangible projects and approaches to dealing with this crisis that Scoop is looking to explore in the coming months - years. From tech innovations such as the blockchain, AI and VR, to increased collaboration between newsrooms and new community ownership models, there is plenty of reason for hope.

So, here are ten reasons to have hope for a better media in 2018 and beyond: More>>

 

Gordon Campbell: On The EU Trade Talks With NZ

In the very unlikely event that all will be smooth sailing in negotiating access to Europe for agricultural products from this part of the world, the EU/NZ negotiations could be wrapped up in about two years – which is relatively fast when it comes to these kind of deals. At best then, we won’t see any concrete benefits until half way through the next term of government. More>>

ALSO:

World Refugee Day: What 7 Former Refugee Kids Love About New Zealand

RASNZ asked 7 members of their specialist youth service (along with two staff members who work with refugee background youth) how they felt about New Zealand – and filmed the responses. More>>

ALSO:

Pay Equity Settlement: Affects 5000 Mental Health Support Workers

Health Minister Dr David Clark is pleased to announce an estimated 5,000 mental health and addiction support workers will soon receive the same pay rates as care and support workers. More>>

ALSO:

DHBs: Nurses Plan Strike Action For Next Month

Nurses across the country have confirmed a notice of a 24-hour strike, starting on 5 July. District Health Boards (DHB) were working on contingency plans following a notice to strike by the New Zealand Nurses Organisation. More>>

ALSO:

Oranga Tamariki: Children's Ministry Shifts Away From Putting Kids In Care

Children's Minister Tracey Martin is signalling a shift away from putting children into care, and towards intensive intervention in a child's home. More>>

ALSO:

But No Way To Tell Why: Significant Drop In HIV Diagnoses

A new report shows that for the first time since 2011, the number of annual HIV diagnoses in New Zealand has fallen. But without funding for a repeat of ongoing surveys to monitor changes in behaviour, testing and attitudes, health workers can’t be sure what’s driving the decrease. More>>

ALSO:

On Her Majesty's Public Service: Inquiry Into Spying Claims Extended To All Govt Agencies

In March, State Services Commissioner Peter Hughes announced an inquiry after it was revealed the firm spied on Canterbury earthquake claimants for Southern Response. The inquiry was furthered widened to include the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment, who had been spying on Greenpeace staff. More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages