Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 


Work to start on Molesworth Street building tomorrow

Work to start on Molesworth Street building tomorrow
- and update on Reading Cinema car park

The quake-damaged office block at 61 Molesworth Street is to be demolished by the property’s owner, with work starting as early as tomorrow(Monday 21 November).

Part of the building was substantially damaged in last Monday morning’s earthquake and there are concerns it could collapse.

A demolition contractor has been hired to ‘deconstruct’ the nine-storey building. An 85-tonne ‘ultra-high-reach’ excavator will be moved on to the site in the next couple of days and initial demolition works could start as early as tomorrow (Monday 21 November) or Tuesday.

The start on work largely depends on how long it will take to turn off electricity, gas and other services to the building.

Work to demolish the building is expected to take about two weeks, weather permitting.

Wellington City Council Chief Executive Kevin Lavery says it is planned to initially focus on the demolition of the Molesworth Street façade of the building and then work progressively to the rear of the site.

“By doing this, we can hopefully reduce the cordon around Molesworth Street to vehicles and pedestrians within around a week of demolition work starting. This will allow more buildings, for example the Embassy of Thailand and NZ Rugby headquarters, to be reopened.

Mr Lavery says a hydraulically-powered ‘demolition shear’ at the end of the excavator’s boom will chew through the building’s concrete and steel structure. “It will be a relatively quiet procedure as we are mindful of the surrounding neighbourhood.”

The dangerous condition of the site means no-one will be allowed to enter the building before demolition starts. As a result, the City Council’s welfare team is working to assist the family who had been living in the building, and to the businesses – Bali Day Spa, Nudel Wellington, The Mews and City Clothing Alterations – that had been operating from the site.
The cordon area around 61 Molesworth Street has been reduced in the past 24 hours. This means the Cathedral of St Paul and Loaves and Fishes are now accessible.

Mr Lavery says the Council and the contractor cannot guarantee that a mural, installed in the foyer of the building when it was constructed in the mid-1960s, can be saved. “We will make a call on this as the deconstruction proceeds. However, safety is paramount – if it becomes clear that the risks are too great then we will not be able to retrieve the artwork.”

Reading car parking building – update
Work to temporarily strengthen the multi-storey Reading Cinema car park in Tory Street is expected to start during the next few days. Steel props and framing will be installed along, possibly, with Kevlar ‘wraps’ on building pillars to stabilize the structure. This work may take up to a month and the existing cordons will likely stay in place until the work is completed.
City Council staff have been in close contact with affected property owners and will continue to work with them as more information comes available. So far only a handful of residents from inside the cordoned area have required assistance.

Here is a youtube link to a similar demolition in Christchurch by the contractor after the 2011 earthquake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtgW_j1QXZA

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

2040 Target And Lower Standards: “Swimmable” Rivers Five Times More Likely To Make You Sick

Forest & Bird has condemned the government’s new water quality standards, warning New Zealanders that they lock in current levels of water pollution and allow for a 5-fold increase in the chance of getting sick from swimming in a river.

“Despite an explicit assurance from Minister Smith that the new water standards would provide for human and ecosystem health, he has failed to deliver on either of these things,” says Forest & Bird CEO Kevin Hague. More>>

ALSO:

 
 

Immigration: Clampdown On Rogue Employers Good First Step

The Human Trafficking Research Coalition is pleased at the new clampdown on rouge employers who exploit migrants announced by Minister Woodhouse this morning, and believes this is a step in the right direction. More>>

ALSO:

Mayor: 750 New Social And Affordable Homes For Wellington (Over A Decade)

The next stage of Wellington’s Housing Upgrade Programme will see at least 750 new units of social and affordable housing built over the next decade, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>

ALSO:

22/2: Christchurch Quake Memorial Unveiled

A city, a region, a nation and an international community impacted by the Canterbury Earthquakes will come together to mark the sixth anniversary of the deadly quake and dedicate Oi Manawa Canterbury Earthquake National Memorial. More>>

ALSO:


November Quakes:

Gordon Campbell: On The Mana-Maori Party Deal

If the self-interest involved wasn’t so blatant, the electorate deal between the Maori Party and Hone Harawira would be kind of poignant. It’s a bit like seeing the remaining members of Guns’n’Roses or the Eagles back on the road touring the nostalgia circuit… playing all the old hits of Maori unity and kaupapa Maori politics. More>>

ALSO:

Private Provision: First Social Bond To Focus On Mental Health

New Zealand’s first social bond will help around 1700 people with mental illness into work, Finance Minister Steven Joyce and Social Investment Minister Amy Adams say. More>>

ALSO:

Immigration: Short Reprieve For Nine Indian Students

A temporary hold on deportations of nine Indian students is a step in the right direction but the Government urgently needs to implement safeguards to stop further injustices to more international students, the Green Party says. More>>

EARLIER:


Megaupload Case: High Court Rules Dotcom, Co-Accused Eligible For Extradion

Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom and his three co-accused are eligible for extradition to the United States, New Zealand's High Court ruled... Justice Murray Gilbert upheld a decision by the District Court that there were grounds for Dotcom, Mathias Ortmann, Bram van der Kolk and Finn Batato to be extradited. More>>

ALSO:

PREVIOUSLY:

Port Hills Fire: Midday Update, Monday 20 February

• 9 homes destroyed
• 2 homes with partial damage. Damage includes things like cracked windows, heat damage.
• 3 properties with damage to other external structures e.g sheds or outbuildings More>>

ALSO:

Get More From Scoop

 

LATEST HEADLINES

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Regional
Search Scoop  
 
 
Powered by Vodafone
NZ independent news