Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search


Health Warning removed - Shellfish back on the menu!


February 10, 2017

Health Warning removed - Shellfish back on the menu!

The Community and Public Health division of Canterbury District Health Board wish to advise that the public health warning to not collect shellfish in the Canterbury region has been removed.

The Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI) stated that ongoing testing of shellfish has found the levels of toxins causing Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning to be below the safe levels set by MPI. Warning signs throughout the region will be taken down in the coming days.

Dr Alistair Humphrey, Canterbury Medical Officer of Health, says routine tests on shellfish samples taken from the region have shown levels of Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning (DSP) toxins within the safe limit of 0.16 mg/kg set by MPI.

“This is great news for those of us who love collecting and eating our own kaimoana. It has been a long wait since the warning was originally issued (13thOctober 2016) and lovers of seafood in Canterbury should be commended for heeding the warnings for so long.”

Mussels, oysters, tuatua, pipi, toheroa, cockles, scallops, catseyes, kina (sea urchin) and all other bivalve shellfish are now safe to eat

Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning symptoms typically appear within half an hour of ingestion and last for about 24 hours. Symptoms may include:

• Diarrhoea

• Vomiting

• Nausea

• Abdominal cramps

For more information

Community and Public Health – 03 364 1777

Shellfish biotoxin alert webpage

Subscribe to shellfish biotoxins to receive email alerts


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On The PM’s Indonesian Guest, And West Papua

As David Lange once said, it is almost impossible to get New Zealand to think about Indonesia, the huge nation sitting right on our doorstep.

The visit to this country early next week by Indonesian president Joko Widodo won’t change that situation, even though Widido will be the first major foreign head of state to be hosted by the Ardern government. More>>


Out By 24,000: Treasury Child Poverty Estimate Wrong

The Treasury has revised the child-poverty projections it provided to the Government in December 2017. As outlined in the Treasury’s 17 January media release, the previous estimate was based on code that included a modelling error...More>>


Mentions Russia: NZ Joins Condemnation Of Nerve Agent Attack

Foreign Affairs Minister Winston Peters says the New Zealand Government has grave concerns over the use of a chemical nerve agent in the United Kingdom resulting in critically serious injuries to some of those exposed. More>>


IPCA (And Privacy Commission): Police's “Exit International” Checkpoint Was Illegal

The Independent Police Conduct Authority has found that Police were not justified in stopping vehicles at a vehicle checkpoint to identify individuals who had attended an “Exit International” meeting in Lower Hutt on 2 October 2016. More>>


NZDF Coverup: Defence Admits Raid Was In Area Described In Hit And Run

When the book Hit and Run was published in March last year, the Chief of Defence Force Tim Keating held a press conference claiming the SAS had been in a different place on that date... The Defence Force has finally admitted that the “three photographs in the book are of Tirgiran Village”. More>>


"It Could Work" - Team NZ: New America's Cup Base Option

Auckland Mayor Phil Goff has welcomed Emirates Team New Zealand’s acknowledgement that a new fourth base option is workable and would see Auckland host the America’s Cup in 2021. More>>





Featured InfoPages