Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search


Edgecumbe insurance advisory: Temporary Accommodation

Edgecumbe insurance advisory: Temporary Accommodation

The Insurance Council of New Zealand advise people who have uninhabitable homes due to flood damage to contact their insurer directly for help with temporary accommodation.

Most home policies as well as contents policies provide cover for temporary accommodation. Each policy wording will differ so people should check with their insurer.

Tim Grafton, Insurance Council Chief Executive said “people that are renting and only have contents insurance may not be aware that they probably will also have cover for temporary accommodation”.

Key points from Home policies:

· Contact your insurer first – they must agree

· The home needs to be uninhabitable due to loss

· Covers you and your domestic pets

· The choice of temporary accommodation needs to be reasonable i.e. a similar standard to your existing house

· It doesn’t cover additional costs such as travel, letting fees, utilities, meals, phone, internet

· You are covered, even if the damage to house is under $100k EQC cap

· Limit of cover will be to a dollar value – each policy is different, so check

· Some insurers will pay you direct and others you’ll get reimbursed – discuss with your insurer

· Some policies will also cover you where your home is otherwise safe and sanitary, but you are prevented from accessing it by order or direction of government or local authorities

· Reasonable moving or storage costs are covered

To decide what counts as uninhabitable, insurers will assess on a case by case basis and are likely to ask questions such as:

· Is the home safe and structurally stable?

· Has a Government/Local Authority issued instructions for you to vacate the home?

· Is the home secure against theft and outside elements (e.g. watertight?)

· Can the kitchen and bathroom be used?

· Can people sleep in the home?

· Is there water? Electricity?

Key points from Contents policies

· If you are renting and only have Contents insurance, check with your insurer as most insurers will cover your temporary accommodation

· The alternative accommodation benefit will likely still require you to contribute your normal rent towards the cost

· Damage may need to be caused to your contents to be eligible for the temporary accommodation benefit

· Insurers will also pay for the temporary storage of your contents – including removal and returns.

Reasonable costs of emergency evacuation is also often covered in home and contents policies if the evacuation is due to safety concerns or other emergency and the police or a local authority has advised against you living in your house or you are unable to access your home. This cover needs to be agreed in advance with your insurer.

Residential body corporates should contact their insurance broker, if they have one, or their insurance company directly.


© Scoop Media

Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Back Again: Government Approves TPP11 Mandate

The Government has approved a negotiating mandate for Trans-Pacific Partnership 11 (TPP11), which will ensure New Zealand businesses remain competitive in overseas markets.

Trade Minister Todd McClay says New Zealand will be pushing for the minimal number of changes possible to the original TPP agreement, something that the remaining TPP11 countries have agreed on. More>>




Gordon Campbell: On Why Labour Isn’t Responsible For Barnaby Joyce

As a desperate Turnbull government tries to treat the Barnaby Joyce affair as a Pauline Hanson fever dream – blame it on the foreigners! We’re the victims of the dastardly New Zealand Labour Party! – our own government has chosen to further that narrative, and make itself an accomplice. More>>


Rail: Greens Back Tauranga – Hamilton – Auckland Service

The Green Party today announced that it will trial a passenger rail service between Auckland, Hamilton and Tauranga starting in 2019, when it is in government. More>>


Housing: Voluntary Rental Warrant Of Fitness For Wellington

Wellington City Council is partnering with the University of Otago, Wellington, to launch a voluntary Rental Warrant of Fitness for minimum housing standards in Wellington, Mayor Justin Lester has announced. More>>


Treaty: Agreement In Principle Signed With Moriori

“The Crown acknowledges Moriori was left virtually landless from 1870, hindering its cultural, social and economic development. The Crown also acknowledges its contribution to the myths that the people of Moriori were racially inferior and became extinct." More>>


Susan Devoy: Call For Inquiry Into State Abuse Reaches UN

Race Relations Commissioner Dame Susan Devoy is in Geneva and has asked a United Nations committee to urge the New Zealand government to initiate an inquiry into the physical and sexual abuse of children and disabled people held in state institutions. More>>


(Not National): Cross-Party Agreement On Pike River Re-Entry

The commitment was signed this afternoon by the leaders of Labour, United Future, The Maori Party, and the Green Party and, together with the earlier commitment by New Zealand First, means that there is now a Parliamentary majority behind the families’ fight for truth and justice. More>>






Featured InfoPages

Opening the Election