Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Electric buses confirmed for Wellington fleet

Electric buses confirmed for Wellington fleet

16 June 2017

Wellington commuters will be able to travel on electric buses from next year after Greater Wellington Regional Council signed contracts today with preferred tenderers Tranzit and Uzabus.

The two companies were chosen for nine bus routes across the region after the council called for tenders in August last year.

Greater Wellington Chair Chris Laidlaw says the introduction of 10 double-decker electric buses next July, followed by another 10 in 2020 and a further 12 in July 2021, will mark another phase in the evolution of the region’s public transport network.

“These are first steps in our ultimate goal of an all-electric fleet. Our immediate goal is to lower emissions. By mid-2018, 80 per cent of all buses will be new, the majority of which will comply with the latest Euro VI emissions standards.

“Their introduction, together with electric buses, will put us among the top performers worldwide for lower emission levels.”

He says the use of larger-capacity vehicles and more efficient scheduling will enable 400 buses to do the work of the current 500-strong fleet. This will reduce congestion, especially in the central city, and make journey times faster and more reliable.

“Tranzit has given us a commitment to employ as many bus drivers as possible, and on good terms, from the region’s existing workforce.”

Tranzit Managing Director Paul Snelgrove says the company will hire another 380 drivers, with as many as possible coming from the existing workforce.



“We’re ordering 228 brand-new buses, with as many built by the Kiwi Bus Builders team as it can handle.”

Mr Laidlaw says new timetables will be introduced alongside the new buses next July. A single ticketing system for travel on buses anywhere in the region and simplified fare structures will also be put in place next year.

“Taken together, all the changes will create a modern, efficient and connected bus network, supported by simplified fares and ticketing.”

© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

SCOOP COVERAGE: CHRISTCHURCH MOSQUES TERROR ATTACK


Remembrance: Anzac After Christchurch

A community group is creating The Sound of Peace, a crowdsourced soundscape that captures messages of peace from New Zealanders in their own voices and languages...

The Anzac Eve event, The Art of Remembrance with Kristin Darragh, is a concert and memorial service in the grounds of the historic St David’s Memorial Church in Uptown Auckland.

‘As we remember the lives lost in World War One, we remember the horrors of all wars, and the potential to reach out across the divides now to expand understanding and a sense of our shared humanity.’ More>>

 

NZ And France To Seek To End Use Of Social Media For Terrorism

New Zealand and France announced today that the two nations will bring together countries and tech companies in an attempt to bring to an end the ability to use social media to organise and promote terrorism and violent extremism, in the wake of the March 15 terrorist attacks in Christchurch New Zealand. More>>

ALSO:

Christchurch Attacks: Families Offered Option To Stay Permanently

Immigration New Zealand has created a special visa category for those directly impacted by the shootings at Al Noor Mosque and Linwood mosque, as well as their families. More>>

ALSO:

Auckland: Consent Granted For Queens Wharf Cruise Ship Upgrade

In its decision, released this afternoon, Auckland Council says that although the upgrade will have a "range of adverse effects on the environment, both during construction and operation", these can be managed to an "acceptable" level. More>>

ALSO:

Welfare: Access To Hardship Grants Hits Record High

Figures from the Ministry of Social Development for the March 2019 Quarter showed that hardship assistance grants increased by $48 million in the past year... They also showed the emergency housing grants went from $6.6m to $23m, and there were 70,000 extra requests for assistance for food. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Scrapping The Capital Gains Tax

As PM Jacinda Arden said yesterday, there was no point in Labour bringing a proposal into the House that it didn’t have the votes to get passed. Looking back, maybe she always felt this outcome to be inevitable... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

InfoPages News Channels