Local Govt | National News Video | Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Search

 

Health Assistance Fund attracts 37 applications

Health Assistance Fund attracts 37 applications

Applications to the Community Health Assistance fund closed on Friday (September 22), with 37 applications received.

The fund was set up by Hastings District Council and Hawke’s Bay Regional Council to help people who had suffered financially through long-term illness related to last year’s campylobacter outbreak in Havelock North. Each council contributed $100,000 towards the $200,000 fund.

While the first stage of the Government Inquiry into the campylobacter outbreak found that neither council had directly caused the illness, both councils wanted to assist residents who were struggling to recover from it.

Funding has also been committed by project management company Stantec, to support the community assistance scheme. “We have worked with Council to provide water services in Hastings since 2000. Our support of the Health Assistance Fund is part of Stantec’s commitment to the community,” Said Mark Bruzzone, the managing director of Stantec New Zealand and Australia.

Hastings District Council community facilities and programmes manager Alison Banks said it was expected that the assessment process would take about four weeks, depending on the complexity of the applications.

An independent GP is completing the assessment of the applications, including interviewing each of the applicants to see if they fit the criteria: financial hardship from long-term illness related to the 2016 Havelock North campylobacter outbreak.

The recommendations of the GP would then go to a panel for a final decision. That panel is made up of two community representatives, a representative from Hastings District Council, one from Hawke’s Bay Regional Council and one from central Government (the Ministry of Social Development).

The total amount of applications before the assessor is just over $300,000.

Acting mayor Sandra Hazlehurst said decisions on the assessments would be made based on the applicants’ health needs and the financial impact of those. “I want to assure the applicants that each of their situations will be independently and fairly assessed. Decisions will be made based on the personal financial costs of applicants suffering from long-term health problems,” said Mrs Hazlehurst.

If the final total comes out at over $200,000 staff will report back to Council seeking direction.

Council will not be releasing individual amounts of applications nor any health details, in order to fully protect the privacy of individuals.


ENDS


© Scoop Media

 
 
 
Parliament Headlines | Politics Headlines | Regional Headlines

Gordon Campbell: On Vulnerable Kids, RNZ Funding, And Poppy

The decision to remove the word ‘vulnerable’ from the Ministry for Vulnerable Children could well mark a whole shift in approach to the care of children in need.

And I’m hedging with the ‘could well’ only because the Ardern government hasn’t yet spelled out whether the name change it has announced will also involve a rejection of the controversial use of Big Data to try and predict those children deemed to be at highest risk of inter-generational reliance on welfare support. More>>

 

Principals' Federation: End Of National Standards

Today the Minister of Education announced that the Government has stopped the controversial National Standards system of assessment and declared them an arbitrary measure which did not raise children's achievement as the previous Government intended. More>>

ALSO:

Public Good: People’s Report On Public Broadcasting And Media Presented

The People’s Commission on Public Broadcasting and Media, was crowdfunded and was informed by an extensive consultation, seeking the views of both those working in Media as well as gathering input both online and in person from ordinary Citizens. More>>

ALSO:

RBNZ To RNZB: PM's Press Conference

Prime Minister Jacinda Adern was joined by Minister of Finance Grant Robertson and Minister for Children Tracey Martin to announce the appointment of Adrian Orr as the new Governor of the Reserve Bank and the name change of the Ministry for Vulnerable Children to ‘Oranga Tamariki - Ministry for Children’. More>>

ALSO:

'Taming Globalised Capital': Why Is Labour Supporting Investment Rules In WTO?

‘Today, we learned the new government has added New Zealand’s name to a proposal designed to lead to foreign investment rules in the WTO at this week’s ministerial meeting in Argentina,’ said Auckland University Professor Jane Kelsey. More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On The Politics Of Scaring Voters Back Into Line

Fear has always been a useful mobilising tool in politics… yet in 2017, bogeymen of all shapes and sizes seem to have fallen on hard times. For years, the National party had painted itself as being the only reliable defensive bastion against the terrifying prospect of a centre-left government… More>>

ALSO:

Gordon Campbell: On Drinking Water As A Failure Of Political Leadership

It is almost possible to feel sorry for the Health Ministry in their terrible, no good, very bad week... More>>

ALSO:

 
 
 
 
 

LATEST HEADLINES

  • PARLIAMENT
  • POLITICS
  • REGIONAL
 
 

Featured InfoPages